SNS Users' Forums
  • Announcements

• Eric Newbauer

Follow SNS on Twitter!

Get notifications via Twitter! Looking for instant updates? We're now also announcing new versions and beta programs via Twitter. Follow Studio Network Solutions on Twitter. Thanks!

Hi,

is anyone using the globalSAN iSCSI initiator with a DroboPro?

I am noticing here some strange behaviors.

1. Dashboard does not connect Drobo

2. globalSAN warns that erro detection is not enabled on Drobo

3. benchmark tools like Blackmagick Disk Speed report an read error

4. CarbonCopyCloner warns that Mac OS X reported an disk i/o error

Copying files from or to Drobo using Finder or other backup tool seems to work w/o any problems.

And when connecting through fw or usb i do not see this behavior, only when using the globalSAN iSCSI initiator.

So are there others using DroboPro with the initiator? Are you seeing the same?

Regards,

Matthias

Dear Matthias,

1) This seems to be currently under discussion between Data Robotics and SNS. Maybe in the future...

2) DroboPro does not support error detection. The later models do.

3 /4) I have the same problems. My volumes work flawlessly when connected via Firewire / USB but I get error messages when the drive is connected via iSCSI. Direct copy / read actions via the Terminal are no problem, but files larger than 4 MB throw error 36 in Finder when handling them. I read a lot concerning this error and tried all recipies - but non of them work. Really seems to be a protocoll thing :wacko:

Best,

Phillip

I got prompt feedback from the SNS support team: We could nail it down to a confirmed bug on Apple's side. The GlobalSAN iSCSI inititator seems to be maxing out Gigabit bandwidth better than Apple expected, leading to problems reading / writing data on some setups. Currently the only way to deal with it is enabling error checking / correction.

For older systems like DroboPro, which do support iSCSI but do not support error handling, they consider adding an optional switch for the time being to throttle the bandwith a little bit to avoid running into Apple's bug on those systems.

XtendSAN's iSCSI initiator seems to be less efficient and stays below the problematic treshold, if you need an iSCSI-based solution right now.

Well, after purchasing the Globalsan iscsi Initiator, I am running into this same error -36 on just about every file I try to copy from my DroboPro. It won't even copy files to my iPhone anymore from iTunes. This is terrible, and renders this software useless to me. What's more alarming to me, is the date of the last post here. Since then, has anyone found a viable solution?

Hello,

The initiator is strictly a connection mechanism, with no concept of the file system. The workstation operating system handles all file operations, but it does need reliable communication with the target disk. From what we've seen, the initiator maintains the connection to the storage without issue, but as noted in a previous reply, the storage system doesn't seem to support the error detection policy that is set by default in globalSAN, so this protective policy gets disabled. Error 36 is often indicative of trouble with the file system. If you're still able to read from the disk(s), backing up the data (and maintaining current backups) would be a good first step.

Most storage systems (including our own!) do include the error detection policy as added protection for block level communication.