SNS Users' Forums
  • Announcements

• Eric Newbauer

Follow SNS on Twitter!

Get notifications via Twitter! Looking for instant updates? We're now also announcing new versions and beta programs via Twitter. Follow Studio Network Solutions on Twitter. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
doctor

File sharing and SANmp

Hi,

just a word to say that I tried the tip that Matthew Sharp posted in the Resources forum, concerning native file sharing of a Sanmp volume...

It's really useful for us, as we needed something like a "drop box", where every user could drop his project... The only thing I did was to change the subnet mask to 255.255.0.0 in the pcs and the X-16, so that each workstation could see that shared volume, and also hit the different ethernet ports of the X-16 , to keep the best bandwith.

Jerome

Hi,

just a word to say that I tried the tip that Matthew Sharp posted in the Resources forum, concerning native file sharing of a Sanmp volume...

It's really useful for us, as we needed something like a "drop box", where every user could drop his project... The only thing I did was to change the subnet mask to 255.255.0.0 in the pcs and the X-16, so that each workstation could see that shared volume, and also hit the different ethernet ports of the X-16 , to keep the best bandwith.

Jerome

Jerome,

This would be useful for us as well, but I tried some time ago and couldn't get it to work reliably. I m interested in more details about how you got it to work. Do you have a PC dedicated to the sharing?

Our organization's network is large and slow (for audio), so our SANmp network is physically separate from it, and has a separate subnet. We have few enough audio workstations that each has a separate port on the X16. Machines which require access to both have two network interfaces. I connected a general-purpose XP box (not an audio workstation) to the audio network as a bridge. I could then mount SANmp drives on that machine. Sharing on our windows network seemd to work. But I could not get this to work on a regular, automatic basis.

These are the limitations I ran into:

* Mounting SANmp volumes requires admin privileges.

* Logging out of the admin account closed down SANmp client and unmounted the volumes.

* I could not leave the admin account logged in since others needed to use the workstation.

I tried to solve this by mounting the SANmp volumes with a startup script, which ran as admin (through group policy). I also had a shutdown script that ran much the same way to unmount the drives. I suspect that this was the cause of many of my other problems since the SANmp software was obviously not intended to be run in this way. The first time a volume was mounted this seemed to work, but the unmount did not seem to be clean and subsequent remounts were hit and miss. I also had a terrible time getting drive letters or mount points to be consistent, which created a lot of problems since I was scripting this. I also had at least one time that the bridge machine crashed while accessint the shared drive.

So I finally concluded that I'd need to have a dedicated machine to perform this task and gave up.

Since you say you were able to do this and it works well, I am interested in knowing what you did.

Msteel

Hi Msteel,

in fact I share the volumes using an windows xp pc, which is only used for backup, using a DLT drive.

It seems that your problems are only due to the fact that you want to deal with non-admin accounts, which I don't on this computer.

I didn't read the sanmp manual for a long time, but it seems to me that sanmp should be used with admin accounts on windows..... should have a look in this way.

Also, i used some batch files to automount volumes with sanmp CLI, without any problems.

Regards,

Jerome

Hi Msteel,

in fact I share the volumes using an windows xp pc, which is only used for backup, using a DLT drive.

It seems that your problems are only due to the fact that you want to deal with non-admin accounts, which I don't on this computer.

I didn't read the sanmp manual for a long time, but it seems to me that sanmp should be used with admin accounts on windows..... should have a look in this way.

Also, i used some batch files to automount volumes with sanmp CLI, without any problems.

Regards,

Jerome

Thanks for your response. It backs up my conclusion that the only way to make this work is to have a computer that has an administrator permanently logged on. I am aware that admin privileges are required to mount SANmp drives. Even without reading the manual you quickly find that mounts fail with an error from a non-admin account. But even you have multiple admin accounts used the machine, there would be problems sharing volumes because of the nature of the SANmp GUI. Standard local drives are mounted at system startup, so they are available for sharing even if no one is logged on to the machine. But because the SANmp GUI runs as a user process, it shuts down at logout. This means that a drive is not available for sharing unless an admin is logged in locally.

Standard local drives are mounted at system startup, so they are available for sharing even if no one is logged on to the machine. But because the SANmp GUI runs as a user process, it shuts down at logout. This means that a drive is not available for sharing unless an admin is logged in locally.

Right. Moreover we wouldn't have the problem if using standart iscsi targets, without any sharing software, cause the volumes would be mounted via iscsi initiator at system startup.....

Jerome

Thanks for your response. It backs up my conclusion that the only way to make this work is to have a computer that has an administrator permanently logged on. I am aware that admin privileges are required to mount SANmp drives. Even without reading the manual you quickly find that mounts fail with an error from a non-admin account. But even you have multiple admin accounts used the machine, there would be problems sharing volumes because of the nature of the SANmp GUI. Standard local drives are mounted at system startup, so they are available for sharing even if no one is logged on to the machine. But because the SANmp GUI runs as a user process, it shuts down at logout. This means that a drive is not available for sharing unless an admin is logged in locally.

This is definitely *not* the case with Apple's OS X. We have 50 distinct users on 18 workstations and none of them are admins.

Charlie Essers

This is definitely *not* the case with Apple's OS X. We have 50 distinct users on 18 workstations and none of them are admins.

Charlie Essers

I agree. It is only on Windows that I have encountered this limitation. Unfortunately, it is on Windows that native file sharing is most useful for us.

Sign in to follow this