SNS Users' Forums
  • Announcements

• Eric Newbauer

Follow SNS on Twitter!

Get notifications via Twitter! Looking for instant updates? We're now also announcing new versions and beta programs via Twitter. Follow Studio Network Solutions on Twitter. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
glennv

SoftRaid volume support as Xtarget source lun

Hi Guys,

Currently happily running a 6 disk OSX native raid-0 , shared via xtarget iscsi to clients.

Are you planning on supporting SoftRaid Volumes as a source volume ?

I tried it a while ago and the Soft Raid volumes where not recognised by xtarget, but recent version os Softraid volumes seems to get recognised and can add the lun.

But fails during connection stage (it dismounts the softraid volume and losses connection)

Would be cool as softraid is far superior to apple's native raid in several areas.

Actually is is even more important then I thought as aparantly Apple in its infinite stupidity has dropped apple raid support in the lates incarnation of OS X.

Core rot to the max.

Hi,

Has there since (a year later) been any new development on this.

softraid has now a solid reputation and very solid drivers. Any chance of supporting that as base so i can replace my last appleraid/xtarget with a softraid/xtarget ?

Hi Glenn,

It looks like we failed to update you last year, but we did investigate this at the time, and we took another look this last week. We found that adding support for this target would not be a trivial task. We've been listening for users who want an alternative software RAID, but haven't had enough buzz to warrant the development that would be required to add and maintain future support for any third-party solutions.

Note that Apple RAID can still be configured in the current OS versions from the command line, and that this is supported in Xtarget.

Sign in to follow this