SNS Users' Forums
  • Announcements

• Eric Newbauer

Follow SNS on Twitter!

Get notifications via Twitter! Looking for instant updates? We're now also announcing new versions and beta programs via Twitter. Follow Studio Network Solutions on Twitter. Thanks!
Eric Newbauer

globalSAN v.5.2 BETA w/ OS X Mavericks support

Version 5.2.0.421 of globalSAN was released today. This build has exited private beta and is now in public beta.

If you have new globalSAN issues (those that have not been covered in the known issues) after upgrading to Mavericks please post them here with details about your target and the issue you've encountered.

Please read this article to get a download link and learn more about this version/build.

Things appear to be working for me with 5.1.1.423 in general however recently the biggest use of my iSCSI (Promise VessRAID 1830i) on GlobalSAN Connector is iTunes where the library content is stored on the iSCSI drive. iTunes 11.1.3 is EXTREMELY slow when downloading content and stalls anything trying to use the file system(s). Everything is hung for 5-10 mins then 3-4 seconds of queued activity before another 5-10min wait. Basically it just isn't working. When I change the storage to a local drive, the problems disappear. Should I upgrade to 5.2.0.421 or wait for a production release?

Further testing. Even doing a simple Finder file transfer is simply awful. It's reporting 6 hours for a 2.22GB over a 1GB Ethernet LAN connection. In 10 mins, it has so far copied 24MB. Truly horrifying performance. It would be faster over USB 1.0 !!!

Hello,

I haven't upgraded to the public beta, but with the current full release I am experiencing erratic behaviour using iSCSI.

An error that appears in the console is: GLO Warning: Error during the recovery 0xe00002c5. In system prefs, the globalsan connection is yellow once the below has occurred.

I am running OS X Mavericks Server on a Late 2012 MacMini with bonded gigabit ethernet NIC's. My NAS (Netgear ReadyNAS 104) is also using bonded gigabit NIC's.

Everything was working fine in 10.8.

I find that when performing large file transfers (while observing activity monitor), the speed will go from 70-110mps to a few hundred kbps for a duration of time, then it will go back up to 100mbps then back down and eventually the iSCSI connection drops and Mavericks says it wasn't ejected properly.

I have tried setting everything back to single gigabit ethernet connections but the result is the same.

I'm now just going to wait for the full release of the new version of GlobalSAN with Mavericks support.

Cheers,
Rhys

Well I did upgrade to this beta. Alas, the performance issues are still there. Any file copy is beyond painfully slow. Everything hangs for 5-10mins, then 3-4 seconds of rapid activity before hanging again 5-10mins. The only thing to change is Mavericks install. I'll either have to go back to 10.8 (pretty difficult now) or find an alternative to GlobalSAN. GRRRRR

Also downloaded and installed the new globalSAN v.5.2 BETA w/ OS X Mavericks support version. Still experiencing crashes on my OS X Mavericks workstation. I can not access any of my shared storage except for the NAS volume. All other Mountain Lion workstations are functioning properly.

I hope we see some serious movement on this pretty soon. I am currently dead in the water. I'm giving it to the end of this week to see some positive direction or I'm going to purchase ATTO Xtend iSCSI Initiator (http://www.attotech.com/products/product.php?scat=17∏=47&sku=INIT-MAC0-001

). I've read it works brilliantly on Mavericks. They told me they have a 30 day no questions asked return policy if I have issues. Not cheap at $200 however frankly I don't appreciate paying $89 for GlobalSAN and getting stranded for so long either.

Seems I was in error. My problems stemmed from a fault on the petition, not from the GlobalSAN Initiator. I was able to correct the fault and now we're back in business. Timing was coincidental I guess!! Phew.

I did take a look at the ATTO Xtend iSCSI Initiator BTW, The interface is pretty scary, something I would expect to see back in the 90's !! Doesn't integrate at all with System Prefs and I found it also attempted to mount the entire volume as well as the correct LUN. I couldn't prevent it mounting the entire volume and of course Disk Manager would report a format error each time. I'll stick with GlobalSAN: twice as good for less than half the cost.

• Like 1

Hey gldixon,

Thanks for following up on your recent post– I’m very glad to see that you've been able to resolve your issue.

Prompted by your feedback, a few days ago we created an environment in our lab specifically for attempting to replicate the issues you have mentioned, but have so far been unable to do so. It is very reassuring to hear that your issue is likely unrelated to our initiator, but we will continue to push iTunes and some other iLife apps in our test environment so we can be sure to avoid any unexpected compatibility issues with products we know our customers use.

Also, we’d like for you and everyone else to know that nearly all of the feedback we've gotten from the globalSAN 5.2 beta has been positive.

Your detailed feedback, however negative or positive, is still extremely valuable in helping us find and fix issues– so thank you!

Thanks Kyle, I've been a long time user of GlobalSAN and impressed with how resilient the product has been through so many generational updates of OSX when so many other third party products have simply collapsed. I think the idea of a lab is fabulous. As a customer though, please do try and have SNS reply our posts more quickly. Also, now that my issue seems to be resolved, I won't be checking in here so often so what is the best way to stay abreast of status to enable me to move from Beta to production version(s) of the product? This forum post will become a bit of a collection of everything.

I'm glad I could help!

To be automatically notified of updates you can subscribe to our product announcements section on this forum or follow the @snstweets twitter account. More conveniently, any user running a version of globalSAN v.5.x will receive a notification (and can check for updates) through the application's update facility whenever a new GM release is made publicly available.

More news on v.5.2: I'm pleased to share that we have a few hundred people currently running the beta, and outside of a small number of isolated reports that may or may not be initiator-related, this thread constitutes the bulk of user-reported issues. The single biggest known issue we're still investigating for this beta is a potential issue with OS X sleeping when an iSCSI volume is mounted.

Again, we'd like to thank you for your feedback!

The Mavericks build of the initiator works great. Thank you for the great support. My question is whether we are going to have to pay for the upgraded version. And based on that, how do we register the beta version so that we can chose a persistent connection?

Thanks again.

Looks like a firmware update to my NAS (which occurred in around the same timeframe as the Mavericks release) is the culprit for my problem. Netgear have not yet publicly issued the updated firmware which fixes the issue but there are many people on the netgear forums describing the same problem as what I have - sorry SNS! Looks like my issue is on netgear.

Yep, netgear released the update and sure enough, it's a goer. globalSAN v5.2 BETA is performing solidly. Thanks!

JackieTreehorn - The licensing functionality is no different from the public release, and once the GM build is available, globalSAN should automatically prompt you to update. Purchasing the beta will allow you to set persistent targets.

rusty_rhys - Great to hear, thanks for following up.

Hi,

I have been running the 5.2 BETA on my Maverick iMac for about 3 weeks now. In general, things work great. Same speed, and the persistent mode works great. I am hosting my target on a Synology DiskStation DS212j. Since upgrading my iMac to Maverick and consequently installing the 5.2 BETA, I quite frequently get the message that my iSCSI drive disconnected and then, as a consequence of that, iTunes (whose library resides on one of my iSCSI targets) complains it cannot save the library file because the disk cannot be found. But by then, the disk has long reconnected but the iTunes error won't go away unless iTunes is restarted. I am not 100% sure but it seems like the error only occurs after I wake my iMac from sleeping as pointed out in the readme for the BETA.

My question is: Is there a proposed fix available for this? I haven't seen a new BETA build since I installed 421.

Thanks!

We've worked toward allowing workstation sleep to coexist with iSCSI connections, but there just doesn't seem to be a general way to make it work in all cases. Consequently, we've been discussing methods of disabling sleep while iSCSI targets are connected in the upcoming release. For now we do recommend manually disabling sleep on the workstation. Feel free to open a case if you still have trouble.