SNS Users' Forums
  • Announcements

• Eric Newbauer

Follow SNS on Twitter!

Get notifications via Twitter! Looking for instant updates? We're now also announcing new versions and beta programs via Twitter. Follow Studio Network Solutions on Twitter. Thanks!
ewwhite

globalSAN does not mount drives under OS X 10.8.2

When I attempt to mount iSCSI volumes through globalSAN under Mountain Lion 10.8.2, I receive the following in the Console logs. The globalSAN initiator Preference Pane shows my status as "connected", however no drives are mounted. No raw volumes show up in the Disk Utility either. This worked properly under 10.8.1.

9/23/12 9:40:52.000 AM kernel[0]: IBMDiskArrayController5::probe fails

9/23/12 9:40:52.000 AM kernel[0]: EMCDiskArrayController5::probe fails

Any thoughts?

We've now received a very small number of reports of this symptom, and even fewer specific details about it. We're investigating what could be the cause, but need more information.

Please post details on

1. Your Mac (model name, model identifier)
  2. Your target device (manufacturer, model, firmware, configuration) you're using
  3. How you got to OS X 10.8.2 (e.g. Combo Update, Software Update, New Mac w/ 10.8.2 already installed)

Thanks!

Edited by Eric Newbauer
expanding on requested details

I'm not sure that the specifics matter as much as the fact that it's correlated to the 10.8.2 update. I have a system nearby with 10.8.1 that can still connect to the same iSCSI system.

In my case, the Mac hardware is a MacBook Pro Retina model (MacBookPro10,1).

The storage unit is an HP ProLiant DL370 G6 running NexentaStor 3.1 with the Comstar iSCSI stack. It exports two 500GB ZFS volumes to the Mac for Aperture and Time Machine backups.

Thanks. The specifics matter because upgrading to 10.8.2 doesn't cause this problem for everyone. We've been trying to duplicate this issue under 10.8.2 but so far we have no problems with devices showing up as they should in DU.

In addition to the specifics I listed above, it would be good to know if you have any kind of virtualization software running.

We've issued a notice for this problem and we're actively investigating it.

To anyone running globalSAN v.5.1 and OS X 10.8.2: it would be helpful if you would provide your information here (see my post above) even if you're not having this problem.

And another...

- Retina Macbook Pro

- Vmware Fusion 5 is installed

- Synology NAS unit as the target

- Upgrade via Software Update

As of right now, all affected users so far are on some kind of new MacBook running 10.8.2. We've tried to reproduce this on Mac Pro and iMac (iMac 12,2) with 10.8.2 but all is well so far with those. If anyone has contrary results please reply here.

We're working to see if we can reproduce the issue on a MacBook Air in-house.

Thanks for the feedback so far -- keep it coming!

And another...

- Retina Macbook Pro

- Synology 1511+ NAS running DSM 4.1 as the target

- Upgrade to ML via Software Update

And another:

A recently purchased MacBook Air

globalSan worked perfectly using 10.8.1

10.8.2 installed via Software Update

VMware Fusion version 5 installed

My target is a Linux box running iscsitarget and ZFS

Have the same issue with my QNAP T439 II+, Raid5, 2TB

Hardware: Macbook Pro 9.1 mid 2012 non-Retina, 16GB RAM, SSD

Software: OS 10.8.2, globalSan Initiator 4.1 (279)

My ISCI target is not mounting any more. With 10.8.1 it was working.

Timemachine backup works well and also mounts

my isci target does not (650GB) 2 partitions with HFS+

Hopefully you guys can come up with a solution quickly.

I am seeing the same behavior, shows connected - no disk mounted.

• MBP 9.1 (non-retina anti-glare screen)
  • target = Synology, DS1512+, DSM 4.1 - 2636
  • OS X 10.8.2 Software Update App store

I have no vm's installed at this time.

Add another one. This is my primary MDC for Xsan with iSCSI. My backup machine was having issues, so this brought my entire workgroup down today. I'm trying to figure out now how to Downgrade to 10.8.1

I am using a Current Generation MacMini with Xsan and OS Server. Same exact issue as everyone else described. I can connect, but bringing up disk utility crashes the machine and the Target does not mount.

Please advise when you have a patch. I would like to be on the beta patch.

The advisory for this issue has been updated.

The advisory is "to not install 10.8.2".

That isn't a solution.

As I remember correctly, we were told one argument for changing globalSAN from Freeware to "Payware" was the "faster development" and "faster updates"?

10.8.2 was published on the 19th of September, now, one month later, still there is no real solution for that.

Most freeware developers react more quickly.

svenc

The beta version mentioned in the advisory restored functionality. All has been well since.

May we have a post-mortem or explanation of the incompatibility in order to understand why this affected certain systems?

The beta version mentioned in the advisory restored functionality. All has been well since.

May we have a post-mortem or explanation of the incompatibility in order to understand why this affected certain systems?

The part of the beta is crossed out in that advisory.

So no beta for "everyone"...

svenc

correction: I found the link. sorry..

@svenc, just want to clarify chronology for benefit of the thread:

• Sep 23: First instance of this problem reported
  • Sep 24: We issued an advisory, with a suspicion the issue was specific to Ivy Bridge models
  • Sep 26: We confirmed Ivy Bridge suspicion and created a fix and began testing it, with a stated possible beta release date of week of Oct. 1
  • Sep 28: Issued beta fix to customers in private beta list and gathered their feedback
  • Oct 3: Released beta fix publicly

@ewwhite, the problem was confirmed to be an issue in the globalSAN driver related to the CPU architecture of recent Macs based on Ivy Bridge

Thanks to all for the updates.

Hello

I just ran into this issue on a XServe

XServe3.1 (early 2009)

NetApp FAS2040 Release 8.1.1P1 7-Mode

10.8.2 through Software Update

LUN size 10TB

I installed the beta fix. Target is green/connected. Still no disk in Disk Utility. Log says:

EMCDiskArrayController5::probe fails

IBMDiskArrayController5::probe fails

globalSAN iSCSI initiator is still in trial mode, though. Still evaluation, will buy if it works ;)

Anybody else on a XServe?

Thank you!

rugydp, the symptom described in this thread may be the same symptom you're seeing, but I suspect the cause is not the same in your case. Please make sure you have your NetApp configured with at least one LUN0. If that's not the problem please check the forum for other NetApp-related info and post a new topic if necessary.

Thanks!