Jump to content
SNS Users' Forums
  • Announcements

    • Eric Newbauer

      Forum closed   06/30/2018

      PLEASE NOTE: This forum is closed and no longer moderated. Please visit https://www.studionetworksolutions.com/support/ for assistance with your SNS products. Follow Studio Network Solutions on Twitter. Thank you!

Recommended Posts

It's the old story, "I want to share my internet with bandwidth control, " but my question is different because there is an intelligent bandwidth control?

Control normal band: each MAC (PC) is limited to the band, even though the band being free of your connection will not pass x kbps.

Intelligent bandwidth control: each MAC (PC) has the right to band, there is no limitation, but the band will be divided according to need.


- Only one PC using the network: 100% band.

- Two pcs using the network: each pc with a 50% of the bandwidth, but if the first is using only 30%, then the second can use the remaining 70%.

- Two pcs using the network: either ordering the band maximum, each entitled to 50% of bandwidth.

Is there something or is to be implemented yet?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello cyberworldbd,

We have no products that do this sort of thing. On my home machine, though, my firewall does some Quality-of-Service packet filtering like what you're describing. I recommend looking into the "Hierarchy Token Bucket" traffic shaper: http://linux.die.net/man/8/tc-htb

If you're wanting to do this with a SAN volume or other media access, I've got to warn you that there is some increase in latency for any sort of packet inspection or routing.

Best Regards,


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

your networking equipment has potential to do layer 3 and layer 7 traffic shaping and throttling. Looking at cisco meraki equipment you can see there's a few options to limit bandwidth but nothing specific to being intelligent of the number of active devices and utilisation based on a percentage.

traffic shaping options


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites