SNS Users' Forums
  • Announcements

• Eric Newbauer

Follow SNS on Twitter!

Get notifications via Twitter! Looking for instant updates? We're now also announcing new versions and beta programs via Twitter. Follow Studio Network Solutions on Twitter. Thanks!

So... Now we finally got the commercial version of globalSAN. Production quality with a long "beta period" behind it. And it runs on 10.7!

I install it and what happens? Nothing! I activate the trial license, add my Synology iSCSI target and click connect. The icon turns green. But nothing happens. No mounts. No nothing.

In fact the only thing that appears to happen is the constant crashing of the installed HASP daemon.

Guess we have a couple more months to wait. If we want to use this initiator.

Arrrgh. ######. Sometimes it is dangerous to fill out registrations with 1Password. Seems it overwrote my display name... Guess I am gonna get a bit more spam

Edit: All fixed by admin now ;)

So... Now we finally got the commercial version of globalSAN. Production quality with a long "beta period" behind it. And it runs on 10.7!

I install it and what happens? Nothing! I activate the trial license, add my Synology iSCSI target and click connect. The icon turns green. But nothing happens. No mounts. No nothing.

In fact the only thing that appears to happen is the constant crashing of the installed HASP daemon.

Guess we have a couple more months to wait. If we want to use this initiator.

Do you know if the Synology crew has had a chance to test v5?

Same issue here. I get connected to my readynas iscsi target and it connects, but I see nothing in Disk Utility. This worked fine with the previous version of the initiator with OSX 10.6.

As a side note, it disconnects without issue now. :)

Do you know if the Synology crew has had a chance to test v5?

I'm guessing not - considering the how long v5 has been available.

But considering the HASP daemon is crashing every 10 seconds (every time launchd starts it). It seems there are issues that does not directly have to do with the actual connection to the NAS.

Same issue here. I get connected to my readynas iscsi target and it connects, but I see nothing in Disk Utility. This worked fine with the previous version of the initiator with OSX 10.6.

As a side note, it disconnects without issue now. :)

I have an Ultra 6, and have the same problem...... Have you used other software that really works with readynas and lion / iScsi?

Is there any other software we can use?

I´m trying to get my iPhoto libs to be shared by all macs, mbp, mp, macmini and my powerbook... :)

I think I need 3 licenses at 49 * 3 = 147$........

Tommy

Another one here: Mac OS X Lion Server 10.7.2 (Mac mini 2010), trial version of v5 (if it won't work I won't pay) and a Netgear ReadyNAS Pro Business Edition. Everything goes well except that the target won't show up anywhere for me to format it and start using it. Green light and all but....

Used to work just fine with 10.6.x OS X and v4 initiator.

Same problem here, Mac Pro 2009, Lion 10.7.2, attached a Synology 411+ through a 1Gb ethernet connection. iSCSI volume is connected but in Finder or Disk Utility nothing shows up.

I have an Ultra 6, and have the same problem...... Have you used other software that really works with readynas and lion / iScsi?

I´m trying to get my iPhoto libs to be shared by all macs, mbp, mp, macmini and my powerbook... :)

Tommy

are you running 10.7.2?

I'm guessing not - considering the how long v5 has been available.

But considering the HASP daemon is crashing every 10 seconds (every time launchd starts it). It seems there are issues that does not directly have to do with the actual connection to the NAS.

are you running 10.7.2?

Same problem here - iMac 10.7.2 with a Synology DS 410 attached via a direct 1Gb ethernet connection (Cross-over cable).

Me too. I have used Mac OS X 10.7.2 and globalSAN v5.

I had captured some tcp packets on the Mac as an Initiator when the connect button was pushed.

Checksum error happpened as follows.

% sudo tcpdump -s 10000 -vvvv -X tcp port 3260

tcpdump: listening on en0, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 10000 bytes

22:54:58.015919 IP (tos 0x0, ttl 64, id 2085, offset 0, flags [DF], proto TCP (6), length 64, bad cksum 0 (->123e)!)

INITIATOR.50542 > TARGET.iscsi-target: Flags , cksum 0x2088 (incorrect -> 0xb190), seq 4060020687, win 65535, options [mss 1460,nop,wscale 3,nop,nop,TS val 435259182 ecr 0,sackOK,eol], length 0

<snip>

Me too. I have used Mac OS X 10.7.2 and globalSAN v5.

I had captured some tcp packets on the Mac as an Initiator when the connect button was pushed.

Checksum error happpened as follows.

% sudo tcpdump -s 10000 -vvvv -X tcp port 3260

tcpdump: listening on en0, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 10000 bytes

22:54:58.015919 IP (tos 0x0, ttl 64, id 2085, offset 0, flags [DF], proto TCP (6), length 64, bad cksum 0 (->123e)!)

INITIATOR.50542 > TARGET.iscsi-target: Flags , cksum 0x2088 (incorrect -> 0xb190), seq 4060020687, win 65535, options [mss 1460,nop,wscale 3,nop,nop,TS val 435259182 ecr 0,sackOK,eol], length 0

<snip>

what is your target?

A few things to consider/try.

1. Make sure you have a LUN 0

2. Can anyone reproduce using 10.7.1?

3. Using CHAP? Try disabling it and try again.

4. There are two check boxes for connectivity issues, SessionType and AuthMethod. Experiment with toggling between settings. I would try the SessionType first.

Regards,

SNSryan

A few things to consider/try.

1. Make sure you have a LUN 0

2. Can anyone reproduce using 10.7.1?

3. Using CHAP? Try disabling it and try again.

4. There are two check boxes for connectivity issues, SessionType and AuthMethod. Experiment with toggling between settings. I would try the SessionType first.

Regards,

SNSryan

I have tried all of the above (except 10.7.1., I have none available, all my Macs are on 10.7.2) already to no avail.

Just wondering. Has anyone else checked their system log (Console app)? Just wondering if everyone else have a constantly crashing HASP deamon. Seems nobody else have mentioned it so far.

They look like this:

18/10/2011 19:09:08.160 com.apple.launchd: (com.aladdin.hasplmd[419]) Job appears to have crashed: Bus error: 10
18/10/2011 19:09:08.160 com.apple.launchd: (com.aladdin.hasplmd) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds
18/10/2011 19:09:08.178 ReportCrash: Saved crash report for hasplmd[419] version ??? (???) to /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/hasplmd_2011-10-18-190908_localhost.crash

Tommy

Hmm, I wonder how you think to accomplish this? You'd need to have read/write access to all your data on each system, which requires a clustered file system, which GlobalSAN doesn't offer. GlobalSAN can be the transport for the clustered file system, but if you'd use HFS+ for that volume and connect to it from multiple Macs simultaneously, you'll hose your fs within seconds.

Just a little heads-up…

Possible clustered fs for OS X are: Xsan and SanMP both of them will you run $500+,- additionally to GS.

I have tried all of the above (except 10.7.1., I have none available, all my Macs are on 10.7.2) already to no avail.

Actually, without having access to the target hosts, it will be very hard to analyze the issues, you all are having with Synology and ReadyNAS units.

All I can say is, that I don't have any issue with GlobalSAN v.5 and any of my iSCSI targets that are exported by my Solaris 11 Express/COMSTAR hosts.

If the initiator does connect to the target, but displays no volume, there's not too many possible reasons, I guess:

1) the target somehow denies access to the actual LUN

2) the target doesn't export a LUN0

If you want to capture the iSCSI traffic using tcpdump, you should also consider installing Wireshark on your Mac and actually have a look inside the iSCSI protocol, as Wireshark comes with an iSCSI protocol analyzer.

Try capture the session using tcpdump from an admin account like this:

tcpdump -i <interface> -s 0 -w <where to save output> ip and port 3260

Afterwards, you should open this file with Wireshark and see, what really is going on, when the initiator tries to connect to the target.

hth,

budy

I guess it could be that my LUN is called LUN-1. But it's really strange that this version has gotten more restrictive in what works than the previous one.

But frankly I can't be bothered to try to debug the iSCSI connection, as long as my file system is being flooded with crash reports.

Just wondering. Has anyone else checked their system log (Console app)? Just wondering if everyone else have a constantly crashing HASP deamon. Seems nobody else have mentioned it so far.

Yes, I too am seeing the repeated crash reports in my system log. Seems to keep crashing even after I disconnect my device.

Yes, I too am seeing the repeated crash reports in my system log. Seems to keep crashing even after I disconnect my device.

Definitely crashing on my system as well. Clearly shows a lack of attention to detail and testing.

I've quieted the messages by using launchctl to permanently unload the failing daemon. Not sure why it's even set to start on systems that aren's using the target feature.

Sorry that there is an issue. I assure you GlobalSAN v5 does work. There are many users successfully using it. We would like to address this issue right away but we need your help. We need additional information to investigate. We ask that you please collect traces and send log files to the email address in the instructions below. Also, please note in your submission if you are willing to grant us remote access to the troublesome environment. Thank you for your patience. We look forward to resolving the issue ASAP.

Regards,

SNSryan

How to collect traces instructions:

http://www.snsforums.com/index.php?showtopic=117

Please follow the link below to retrieve and run our diagnostic utility, which generates a set of logs we'll use to help with the investigation of this issue.

1. Click this link to retrieve the diagnostic utility:

http://snsftp.com/guest/SANmp/diags/sanmpdiag-20110704-124816.zip

2. Unzip the diagnostic utility onto a computer where the problem exists.

3. Open the folder and double-click onto the file named runme.command

4. A Terminal window will open. Enter your administrator password in the Terminal when prompted. The utility will provide feedback about its processing status. (The utility will usually take about 5 minutes to complete.) When complete, the output file with the diagnostic data will be in the folder ~/Library/Application Support/SNS/SANmp/

5. Email all resulting files to iscsi@studionetworksolutions.com

I guess it could be that my LUN is called LUN-1. But it's really strange that this version has gotten more restrictive in what works than the previous one.

But frankly I can't be bothered to try to debug the iSCSI connection, as long as my file system is being flooded with crash reports.

Yes, you must have a LUN0. This behavior is the same for all releases of globalSAN.