SNS Users' Forums
  • Announcements

• Eric Newbauer

Follow SNS on Twitter!

Get notifications via Twitter! Looking for instant updates? We're now also announcing new versions and beta programs via Twitter. Follow Studio Network Solutions on Twitter. Thanks!

SNSRyan mentioned that the release is pushed back a few weeks because of the integration of the new target software that is built-in with the initiator and that the initiator release is solid for LION. (will not be beta when they do start to sell it) I'd rather have solid, besides, it's not like they are the first company to ever miss a release date. Let's just hope it shows up in the next few weeks!

this is really poor....

Hi Everybody,

Thank you for your patience. Functionally, globalSAN v5 is done. At this point, we are just finishing up licensing and activation bits. In an effort to not shoot myself in the foot, I hesitate to throw out an exact date. With that being said, I can say that the release will definitely, positively, absolutely be inside the month of October. The $49 introductory price will still be available for 30 days after the official release. We are working to bring this out immediately.

-SNSryan

Hi Everybody,

Thank you for your patience. Functionally, globalSAN v5 is done. At this point, we are just finishing up licensing and activation bits. In an effort to not shoot myself in the foot, I hesitate to throw out an exact date. With that being said, I can say that the release will definitely, positively, absolutely be inside the month of October. The $49 introductory price will still be available for 30 days after the official release. We are working to bring this out immediately.

-SNSryan

Hello Ryan,

thank you for your information, but i just want to say that by keeping this reduced price for 30 days, you do not compensate your loyal customers who were here, reading every post and waiting for several months together with spending a lot of time in

1. testing with lion
  2. trying to find several hacks in order to get it running
  3. getting very frustrated till SNS tells us that this version will never be lion compatible and we have to wait months
  4. wait another month(?) due to wrong announcements.

Instead you will be compensating users that maybe haven't ever heard about SNS before... I don`t think this is what you really want to do, isn't it? I've always been patient and advised others to do the same, but now i'm really really disappointed..

Please do not mistake my intention. I'm not begging for a free driver here, but please at least think about what we have gone through and whether it might be worth a little bit more of a compensation than just being able to place our order 30 days after release - regardless of the fact that we really need it an buy it ASAP.

At least those active users in this thread will probably be glad about the fact that their engagement will be honoured...

Thanks

svphex

Thoroughly ticked off with GlobalSan.

I can't believe that they have taken this long to update their software free or otherwise.

It's completely over for this outfit.....

Hello Ryan,

thank you for your information, but i just want to say that by keeping this reduced price for 30 days, you do not compensate your loyal customers who were here, reading every post and waiting for several months together with spending a lot of time in

1. testing with lion
  2. trying to find several hacks in order to get it running
  3. getting very frustrated till SNS tells us that this version will never be lion compatible and we have to wait months
  4. wait another month(?) due to wrong announcements.

Instead you will be compensating users that maybe haven't ever heard about SNS before... I don`t think this is what you really want to do, isn't it? I've always been patient and advised others to do the same, but now i'm really really disappointed..

Please do not mistake my intention. I'm not begging for a free driver here, but please at least think about what we have gone through and whether it might be worth a little bit more of a compensation than just being able to place our order 30 days after release - regardless of the fact that we really need it an buy it ASAP.

At least those active users in this thread will probably be glad about the fact that their engagement will be honoured...

Thanks

svphex

Hello Everyone,

GlobalSAN v5 has officially been released to the public!

New! globalSAN v.5.0 installs a Beta for Xtarget. Xtarget allows your Mac to act as an iSCSI target. Turn DAS into SAN! For example, you can turn FireWire, USB, eSATA, Thunderbolt and other drives into SAN storage by using your Mac to act as the storage server. A timed trial of Xtarget is available. (To safely share Xtarget's storage with multiple computers, you must use SANmp/iSANmp or Xsan, etc..)

New features and download information for globalSAN v5 can be found by visiting the SNS Product Announcements forum.

Regards,

SNSryan

Well, it took some time, but I have to say v5 works great with Lion. I did some speed tests with the iSCSI-targets on my QNAP, and I get way more bandwidth then with the previous version and Snow Leopard.

bandbreedte.jpg

Well, it took some time, but I have to say v5 works great with Lion. I did some speed tests with the iSCSI-targets on my QNAP, and I get way more bandwidth then with the previous version and Snow Leopard.

bandbreedte.jpg

Thanks for the feedback!

Good news. I downloaded it right away and activated trial mode. But I can't get it to mount. I get connected to target (Synology iScsi) - but no disks to browse. I did not remove / clean up the previous installation. Any clues?

Good news. I downloaded it right away and activated trial mode. But I can't get it to mount. I get connected to target (Synology iScsi) - but no disks to browse. I did not remove / clean up the previous installation. Any clues?

Many of us are having this problem. There is another thread already in progress with these issues.

Hello. Please make sure you have a LUN0. Have you experimented with the settings made available after clicking the iSCSI Options button?

It does seem that there are some compatibility issues with some ReadyNAS and Synology targets. We have reached out to both companies. Synology has agreed to send us a unit right away. We are committed to bringing compatibility to as many targets as possible, as soon as possible. We implemented the 14-day trail so that users could try before they buy for this very reason. We would have liked to have tested more targets before the release but there are simply too many out there. I apologize for any inconvenience. We will have a solution very soon.

New features and download information for globalSAN v5 can be found by visiting the SNS Product Announcements forum.

that's silent on a very significant detail: price. other things are missing too of course, such as a list of tested or supported products, but before i look into this more i need to know the price range, please. i do not need a quote, and i do not want to contact a sales person. i want to know the approximate cost of a single system license, and whether it is a one time license, yearly, or some other schedule (inferred from some other postings it would seem to be one-time). order of magnitude is fine: $5, $50, $500, $5000 or what?

Since I updated to 10.7.2 all the here reported issues (Kernel panic on sleep, cpu util very high) with globalSAN build 279 have disappeared. It's absolutly back to normal operation for me. It seems to me that the incompatibility came from Apple? My iscsi targets are on a Thecus N7700pro hardware with openSuSE 11.2 running on it.

Have others made the same oberservations?

i want to know the approximate cost of a single system license

http://www.studionetworksolutions.com/support/faq.php?pi=11&fi=51

What is the price for the initiator?

Beginning with version 5, globalSAN must be activated with a trial or permanent key. A 14-day limited trial is available for the initiator and Xtarget. During the initiator's trial period, only one connection may be established at a time. (An expired trial can be renewed when a new build is released.) A permanent key for a fully licensed initiator is available at an introductory price of $49.

We have released an update for globalSAN iSCSI Initiator, version 5.0.0.286. This release may resolve issues with most Synology and ReadyNAS targets.

You can use the Check for Updates feature in the globalSAN Initiator pane or manually download and install the software from here:

http://www.snsftp.com/public/globalsan/globalSAN_5.0.0.286.dmg

Please try this version and let us know if you are still having trouble connecting to your target.

Thanks for the updated version.

Good news: it works, connects and the drive shows up in disk utility. Copies files to/from but was not impressed by its speed, but that could be any number of issues.

Bad news: as with the previous build, it kills my services: after installation (regardless of having a target connected or not), I'm unable to use the Server's mail, address book, calendar, wiki, etc services from connected Macs.

Giving up, too much trouble.

System: Mac mini server 2010, 10.7.2 Server + ReadyNAS Pro Business Edition 6TB.

Thanks for the updated version.

Good news: it works, connects and the drive shows up in disk utility. Copies files to/from but was not impressed by its speed, but that could be any number of issues.

Bad news: as with the previous build, it kills my services: after installation (regardless of having a target connected or not), I'm unable to use the Server's mail, address book, calendar, wiki, etc services from connected Macs.

Giving up, too much trouble.

System: Mac mini server 2010, 10.7.2 Server + ReadyNAS Pro Business Edition 6TB.

Thanks for the feedback. Can anyone else confirm they are experiencing this issue? We have not see this behavior yet.

Have you sent in any logs? If not, and If you would like to do something about it, we will investigate the issue immediately. Please follow the link below to retrieve and run our diagnostic utility, which generates a set of logs we'll use to help with the investigation of this issue.

1. Click this link to retrieve the diagnostic utility:

http://snsftp.com/gu...0704-124816.zip

2. Unzip the diagnostic utility onto a computer where the problem exists.

3. Open the folder and double-click onto the file named runme.command

4. A Terminal window will open. Enter your administrator password in the Terminal when prompted. The utility will provide feedback about its processing status. (The utility will usually take about 5 minutes to complete.) When complete, the output file with the diagnostic data will be in the folder ~/Library/Application Support/SNS/SANmp/

5. Email all resulting files to iscsi@studionetworksolutions.com