SNS Users' Forums
  • Announcements

• Eric Newbauer

Follow SNS on Twitter!

Get notifications via Twitter! Looking for instant updates? We're now also announcing new versions and beta programs via Twitter. Follow Studio Network Solutions on Twitter. Thanks!

During this extraordinary delay in getting out an updated product, I've found an alternative to using iSCSI and will no longer need globalSAN. Lost a customer. Too frustrating. Not worth the pain.

Well, today is September 19 and I don't see any product announcement on the web page for the new lion-compatible version of globalSAN. And it isn't showing up in the App store.

Delay?

Let's be patient :-) Although it's 02:35pm in Germany, in St. Louis it's still: 07:35 am ;-)

During this extraordinary delay in getting out an updated product, I've found an alternative to using iSCSI and will no longer need globalSAN. Lost a customer. Too frustrating. Not worth the pain.

What alternative are you talking about?

What alternative are you talking about?

I was using an iSCSI volume to limit the size of my Time Machine backups, as TM will eat up any capacity it can find. I have a Synology NAS system, so I created a separate volume to store my Time Machine backups, and dumped the iSCSI volume. I did like using iSCSI, but I was always worried about what would happen if the iSCSI driver failed? My fears were realized.

In this case, since I didn't have a clue as to when the globalSAN iSCSI driver would be available, I cut the cord, deleted the iSCSI volume (lost my backups, but after considering this, I really didn't need anything in it,) and started TM anew in a regular NAS volume. It was painful, but I am no longer dependent on third-party free software for my backups - which was probably stupid in the first place. All is well in the world again.

FYI: I just had a call with the SNS Support and they told me, it will be available today.

I just had a short call again, and they told me that version 5.0 of SNS`s iSCSI Initiator will hit the shelves tomorrow :-) So let's stay patient!

Thank you, SNS, for you good support!

Sven

I just had a short call again, and they told me that version 5.0 of SNS`s iSCSI Initiator will hit the shelves tomorrow :-) So let's stay patient!

Thank you, SNS, for you good support!

Sven

There is no mention of an impending release on the website, so I wouldn't bet on it arriving all too soon.

Hello everyone,

i just received this mail:

Hi Sven,

Thank you for reaching out to talk today and for your interest in our products and solutions. The release was delayed a couple of days. Please check back on the forum for the latest news. (...)

Thanks again for your interest.

--

Best Regards,(...)

Let's be patient... ;-)

Hello everyone,

i just received this mail:

Let's be patient... ;-)

Patience - a non-Lion compatible product that has STILL not been updated leaving any customer (regardless of the fact the product was offered free) unable to access their data. Lion compatibility could have been developed, tested and released BEFORE Apple released Lion to the general public. Patience? You're having a lend of us surely...

Patience - a non-Lion compatible product that has STILL not been updated leaving any customer (regardless of the fact the product was offered free) unable to access their data. Lion compatibility could have been developed, tested and released BEFORE Apple released Lion to the general public. Patience? You're having a lend of us surely...

I agree. And if they were wise, they would not have set a specific date (September 19) for the release of v5. For they will now be measured by this date. Instead they should have been less specific (like "late Autumn" or such).

I've got to hand it to them, they haven't started censoring these critical forum posts, but the farther the release date is pushed into the further the more likely they will hear from those who can't access their data.

Hello Everyone,

I apologize for my delay in addressing the missed release date. As you may know, GlobalSAN v5 is accompanied by our new OSX iSCSI storage server target software known as Xtarget. GlobalSAN and Xtarget are the same app. This means that if work needs done on either product the potential to slow down the release of the other product is greater. This is indeed the case here. In the days leading up to the 19th, it was decided we needed to address some additional details and features in Xtarget prior to release. With this being known, we still hoped to hit the target release date. Unfortunately, due to many uncontrollable circumstances we had to miss the date. This was personally frustrating for me, but again, uncontrollable. Everything is back in full motion now and we are well on our way to bringing globalSAN v5 to the public ASAP. I will post to this thread as soon as the build is ready. Your continued patience is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

SNSryan

There is no mention of an impending release on the website, so I wouldn't bet on it arriving all too soon.

I would bet on it :)

Hello Everyone,

I apologize for my delay in addressing the missed release date. As you may know, GlobalSAN v5 is accompanied by our new OSX iSCSI storage server target software known as Xtarget. GlobalSAN and Xtarget are the same app. This means that if work needs done on either product the potential to slow down the release of the other product is greater. This is indeed the case here. In the days leading up to the 19th, it was decided we needed to address some additional details and features in Xtarget prior to release. With this being known, we still hoped to hit the target release date. Unfortunately, due to many uncontrollable circumstances we had to miss the date. This was personally frustrating for me, but again, uncontrollable. Everything is back in full motion now and we are well on our way to bringing globalSAN v5 to the public ASAP. I will post to this thread as soon as the build is ready. Your continued patience is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

SNSryan

Thanks for the feedback. I hope you are able to iron out the wrinkles soon.

I'm sorry sir, but no news is bad news.

Can I just know if there is an expected date?

I am very worried in your ability to support a so critical product for my work.

I'm sorry sir, but no news is bad news.

Can I just know if there is an expected date?

I am very worried in your ability to support a so critical product for my work.

Awfully poor to be honest. All access to my files are gone until the new version is released. Desperately need this update or $195 it is.......

Let me just start out by saying that free is free, and I understand that. I would also would like to state and would be remiss if I did not mention that is poor form to offer a product and then not maintain it or announce that support would not be offered for said product with changes involving a centric 3rd party like Apple. All I can say is Duh! Apple offers a developer program which you could be a part of to keep up on this sort of stuff and be testing your product in relation to is specified platform long before you get yourself into this type of a mess.

Being a business person I see the need for a product that is fully supported and reliable and as such I have purchased ATTO Xtend SAN 3.4. Well worth the $195 to know that my data will be accessible regardless of the platform. My advice to Studio Solutions - Pull your heads out and run your business like you should with transparency and pride of ownership. My advice to all the people whining in this forum if you do not like the way you are being treated or the time frame associated with the support for a free product then pony up or shut-up. Global SAN should start charging for this product and then maintain it accordingly.

BTW Xtend SAN 3.4x works well and is easy to use. I have nothing against Global San or its product, but you have to do what you have to do!

... would be remiss if I did not mention that is poor form to offer a product ...

Let's be realistic here. Yes it's a huge disappointment not to be able to upgrade to the latest, shiny, bug-free release from any supplier...

1. SNS have graciously provided a free product

2. Usual terms... "no support", "as is" can be expected: presumably this includes not supporting an un-released OS (at the time of SNS product release)?

3. There is no 3

For my 'mission critical' home computer (deleting junk emails, Internet shopping & the wonders of iTunes) I have carefully determined that an upgrade (to Lion) is not sensible at this time, because my (iSCSI-based) Time Machine will no longer work. (This is one of several Apps that is holding me back.)

For my business, revenue-generating systems, it would be great to have fully-supported, 'fee-free' software. Now if only I could decide which of these two criteria is more appropriate...

Yes, I'm probably just as frustrated with the delay as you are, but I don't *need* to upgrade, I WANT to - but not as much as I want everything still working!

Thanks to SNS for giving us this & thanks for acknowledging that a new version is on the way. Now hurry up! make sure it works...

The current situation is, that there was a free iSCSI Connector which was working more or less fine for a lot. And it was very cool from SNS to give away their iSCSI connector for free.

Now there was a new major update of OS X called 10.7 Lion . This update is available as final version since july 2011.

The prerelease of OS X 10.7 for developers was available since a much longer time. So there was definitly enough time for a serious company to have a look at their products to make them ready for OS X 10.7.

At then moment I'm writing this reply we have almost october. The first announced release date of the new connector which should be compatible with 10.7 has passed without any real new information. More or less the only info we got, that the new connector is not longer free. Well, that's ok. Because everyone has to make money.

But as soon as you start selling product, the measurement of the product will be different from point of customers view. Because then the selling company has to be "professional".

I was writing a mail to SNS and asked about further details. The only answer I got back was an automated mail, where I can download the current version of the iSCSI connector, which is incompatible with OS X 10.7.

After a few days (the new version of the connector should have being released allready), we got the info here in the forum, that there is a delay because of an SNS internal political / strategical decision. That some projects had to be finished first, because some software packages, which should be sold together...

Well that's ok... But does SNS also thinks about professional customers where have to manage projects and have to give scheduling to their customers ? So we had to make a decision which we should have done earlier: Go and get the ATTO iSCSI connector and leave the SNS globalSAN iSCSI connector.

Sad, but as long as SNS doesn't give us some scheduling, we can't rely on their products. And we relay wanted to compare the new connector with other products. But now the time of wait has being over (for us)... And this means, that for our further projects the SNS connector will / can not be considered.

And like I said before. This kind of rare information like "It's done, when it's done." you can give, when you give away your product for free: But SNS has decided to sell an iSCSI connector in a professional manner. But then I expect also a professional handling of their product.

However... I really would like to thanks to the User SNSryan for giving us at least a minimum of information here in the forum. But may SNSRyan could inform the CEO's of SNS about the disappointed users here in the forum because of the lack of information. May this info helps SNS too keep at least other customers.

Just my 5 cents,

Daniel

You guys would really be much better off going with ATTO's Xtend SAN initiator...I know I am.

They have an active development and support team and have been Lion compatible since the first release of the developer preview from apple (imagine that!).

It is expensive, but you're paying for what you don't get from SNS -- an active development and support team.

Let's be realistic here. Yes it's a huge disappointment not to be able to upgrade to the latest, shiny, bug-free release from any supplier...

1. SNS have graciously provided a free product

2. Usual terms... "no support", "as is" can be expected: presumably this includes not supporting an un-released OS (at the time of SNS product release)?

3. There is no 3

For my 'mission critical' home computer (deleting junk emails, Internet shopping & the wonders of iTunes) I have carefully determined that an upgrade (to Lion) is not sensible at this time, because my (iSCSI-based) Time Machine will no longer work. (This is one of several Apps that is holding me back.)

For my business, revenue-generating systems, it would be great to have fully-supported, 'fee-free' software. Now if only I could decide which of these two criteria is more appropriate...

Yes, I'm probably just as frustrated with the delay as you are, but I don't *need* to upgrade, I WANT to - but not as much as I want everything still working!

Thanks to SNS for giving us this & thanks for acknowledging that a new version is on the way. Now hurry up! make sure it works...

I couldn't agree more. It's ironic that the very people complaining about SNS's business model are also claiming that their business data is now inaccessible. So you're prepared to trust your 'business' data to a FREE product (not open source, there's a difference) AND implement a major new OS without proper testing and all of a sudden it's SNS's fault and they have bad business practises....! Here's a couple of useful phrases for you guys, "people in glass houses should't throw stones", and "a bad workman always blames his tools". LOL.

I do not understand all the anger against SNS. Hate Apple for not adding iscsi support in the operating system.

iscsi has been supported by Microsoft for the last decade.

And next time, don't upgrade before you are sure that everything works. YES we are used to easy upgrades by Apple, but we are also used to NO ISCSI support in osx.

I personally think that 200$ per client is a rip off for something that should have been supported by the operating system

50$ is ok, but I hope it will be released through the appstore, which after all is such a great way to get osx software.

SNSRyan mentioned that the release is pushed back a few weeks because of the integration of the new target software that is built-in with the initiator and that the initiator release is solid for LION. (will not be beta when they do start to sell it) I'd rather have solid, besides, it's not like they are the first company to ever miss a release date. Let's just hope it shows up in the next few weeks!