SNS Users' Forums
  • Announcements

• Eric Newbauer

Follow SNS on Twitter!

Get notifications via Twitter! Looking for instant updates? We're now also announcing new versions and beta programs via Twitter. Follow Studio Network Solutions on Twitter. Thanks!

Does anyone know if OSX Server has an iSCSI initiator? If so, we have a solution.

Gerhard

Following an "Upgrade" (sic) from Snow Leopard to LIon I encountered exactly the same problems. It didn't end there though, Lion didn't recognise my Airport hardware, changed numerous settings eg autologin and ran like a pig. Could Lion be Apple's Vista. Have reverted to Snow Leopard which itself was not without issues. Wish I had spent the £21.00 on a couple of bottles of decent wine.

Hello Ryan,

There must be some confusion here, I can assure you that a Lion compatible version of globalSAN will be here much much sooner than 6 to 8 months.

Will you be fixing this issue at the same time ?

http://www.snsforums.com/index.php?showtopic=461

I'm even willing to pay if your initiator works but not 200$ at the other one from atto of course :-)

Thank you

I believe that everyone just got frustrated and left the building.

Did this thread or even worse the developers die?

I follow this thread reason why I know there's activity. I thought it was good news though :-(

Anyways I don't see the point in offering a piece of software which is not updated (issue with MacBook Pro early 2011 and OS X Lion).

I was able to get it to work without fresh install of Lion. The uninstall script does not work so:

Open Terminal and

sudo find / | grep globalsan

Delete everything it finds (except for the dmg you may have just downloaded)

Reboot (just because)

Install latest version (reboot, required)

Configure and enable both boxes under "ISCSI option" as some others have noted

And voila... Data!!

Thank you, SNS!

(if you're not good with command line, use Finder to navigate. Just Shift-Command-g and you can 'goto' some of the hidden directories needed)

I am very happy it worked for you. Unfortunately it didn't work for me. It finds the iSCSI target, etc, but fails to mount it. Arrrrgggh!

I was able to get it to work without fresh install of Lion. The uninstall script does not work so:

Open Terminal and

sudo find / | grep globalsan

Delete everything it finds (except for the dmg you may have just downloaded)

Reboot (just because)

Install latest version (reboot, required)

Configure and enable both boxes under "ISCSI option" as some others have noted

And voila... Data!!

Thank you, SNS!

(if you're not good with command line, use Finder to navigate. Just Shift-Command-g and you can 'goto' some of the hidden directories needed)

I am very happy it worked for you. Unfortunately it didn't work for me. It finds the iSCSI target, etc, but fails to mount it. Arrrrgggh!

Same here...

Good day all!

Darn!!! I am extremely disappointed the Initiator is still not working with Lion... But strange enough, my situation is somewhat different than yours: I have a MacBook Pro that was running 10.6.8. I upgraded it to Lion and now, I cannot even launch globalSAN iSCSI in the System Preference. I tried to uninstall using the script, deleting files, using the TERMINAL windows and still without success...

Here are both messages I get when I try to launch globalSAN iSCSI:

To use the "globalSAN iSCSI" preferences pane, System Preferences must quit and reopen.

System Preferences closes and restart and I then get the following error message:

Unable to launch globalSAN iSCSI application.

Your software may be improperly installed. If problem persists after fresh restart, please reinstall globalSAN iSCSI.

I tried removing and re-installing the application for the 8th time now without any success in accessing my data on my iSCSI drive.

Would someone have a clue what to do in order to re-gain access to my data?

Thanks

Jeff

I used the process described above by Pribanic, except that globalSAN is case sensitive in the TERMINAL window. Both cases are used, so you'll need to search for both.

One option if that doesn't work, a poor one, but an option, is go revert back to SL if you preserved a backup.

Good day all!

Darn!!! I am extremely disappointed the Initiator is still not working with Lion... But strange enough, my situation is somewhat different than yours: I have a MacBook Pro that was running 10.6.8. I upgraded it to Lion and now, I cannot even launch globalSAN iSCSI in the System Preference. I tried to uninstall using the script, deleting files, using the TERMINAL windows and still without success...

Here are both messages I get when I try to launch globalSAN iSCSI:

To use the "globalSAN iSCSI" preferences pane, System Preferences must quit and reopen.

System Preferences closes and restart and I then get the following error message:

Unable to launch globalSAN iSCSI application.

Your software may be improperly installed. If problem persists after fresh restart, please reinstall globalSAN iSCSI.

I tried removing and re-installing the application for the 8th time now without any success in accessing my data on my iSCSI drive.

Would someone have a clue what to do in order to re-gain access to my data?

Thanks

Jeff

I used the process described above by Pribanic, except that globalSAN is case sensitive in the TERMINAL window. Both cases are used, so you'll need to search for both.

One option if that doesn't work, a poor one, but an option, is go revert back to SL if you preserved a backup.

THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH JERRYZ!!!!

This solved my issue with not being able to start globasSAN iSCSI panel. I re-installed the app and now I can have access to it.

Now that I can launch the globalSAN iSCSI, I am now facing a new problem: can't access the DATA on my iSCSI drive.

I launch the app, add a new Portal (enter my IP address) and the drives shows up as disconnected. I click on it, then select in the connections the available connection (ip address port:3260) and select connect. I tried all possibles combination of options and I always get the same error message: The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer. I then have the choice of Initialize... Ignore or Eject...

Is this the common problem that all users have in accessing their file on the iSCSI drive?

I know the data was just fine prior to upgrading to Lion on my Mac... Is there any way to retrieve the data and then reformat the drive?

For some reason, the Lion version of Mac OS X looks more like the VISTA version of Microsoft Windows... :angry:

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Jeff

Happy that it worked for you. Took me a little bit to figure it out for myself.

I've only been reading here the issues others are having, so I haven't read about anyone having your specific problem. For me, the problem is that it installs and says "Connected" but won't mount the drive. I have several months of backups that I can't access. When I absolutely have to access the data on the backup drive, I reboot using a SL disk I saved where the driver still works. Painful, but functional.

Good luck.

THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH JERRYZ!!!!

This solved my issue with not being able to start globasSAN iSCSI panel. I re-installed the app and now I can have access to it.

Now that I can launch the globalSAN iSCSI, I am now facing a new problem: can't access the DATA on my iSCSI drive.

I launch the app, add a new Portal (enter my IP address) and the drives shows up as disconnected. I click on it, then select in the connections the available connection (ip address port:3260) and select connect. I tried all possibles combination of options and I always get the same error message: The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer. I then have the choice of Initialize... Ignore or Eject...

Is this the common problem that all users have in accessing their file on the iSCSI drive?

I know the data was just fine prior to upgrading to Lion on my Mac... Is there any way to retrieve the data and then reformat the drive?

For some reason, the Lion version of Mac OS X looks more like the VISTA version of Microsoft Windows... :angry:

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Jeff

Hello everyone, I would like to share a few exciting announcements.

1st announcement - new iSANmp price - $199 per seat!

Now you can share your iSCSI storage for just $199 per seat! iSANmp SAN Sharing Software allows multiple users to access the files on a SAN, enabling everyone to capture, share and edit directly onto a storage system in real-time — improving collaboration and eliminating wasted time copying files. ISANmp requires no metadata controllers — ever, is compatible with standard third-party FC and iSCSI storage, is fast & simple to setup, incredibly easy to use/maintain and works with your favorite pro-apps on Mac and Windows.

Introducing globalSAN v5 for OSX LION!

For many years SNS has been providing the globalSAN OSX iSCSI initiator to the Apple Community to use free of charge. Support for globalSAN has always been available from our user forum and we've done our very best to support as many target combinations as we could develop for. One of the great things about this approach is that we've made tens of thousands of relationships over the years, which offered a very robust pool of BETA users, essentially friends of SNS that help put the new releases and updates to our code through their paces.

The SNS team is proud to announce that globalSAN v5 for OSX LION will be available for sale at our online store beginning September 19. As a token of appreciation to the OSX iSCSI initiator community we will be offering globalSAN v5 for just $49 through October 19, then globalSAN V5 will revert to it's regular price of $89. The list of new features include OSX Lion support, Support for EMC ALUA-failover mode 4 (active/active), multiple selection in the list of connections, Connect/Disconnect via CLI, advanced support for the new globalSAN Xtarget Storage Server (see below) and of course Microsoft's iSCSI storage server support are included in the upgrade. OSX LION has amazing new features that bring iSCSI storage networking to a new level. For example, Xsan, (Apple's networked filesystem, now included in OSX)  is supported in the globalSAN OSX LION upgrade! The globalSAN iSCSI solution appears like Fibre Channel to the Xsan software, allowing all of the amazing features of Xsan to be 100% compatible with your existing Ethernet network with NO Fibre Channel components required.

Last but not least, introducing globalSAN Xtarget Storage Server for OSX LION!

GlobalSAN Xtarget Storage Server is the first iSCSI target software available for the Macintosh OS. Xtarget Storage Server enables you with the ability to turn ANY direct-attached storage device such as Thunderbolt, eSATA, FireWire and USB, into a sharable, networkable iSCSI storage server - turn DAS in to SAN! Xtarget Storage server and the globalSAN initiator are fully integrated into the same application so when you download your copy of the iSCSI initiator on September 14, you can also give the Xtarget Beta a spin with the included 14 day trail. Pricing TBA mid September.

As always, we at SNS appreciate our customers and look forward to bringing the very best in software solutions to you and your business. Thank you for your kind attention.

Sincerely,

SNSryan

YEA!

1st announcement - new iSANmp price - $199 per seat!

Now you can share your iSCSI storage for just $199 per seat! iSANmp SAN Sharing Software allows multiple users to access the files on a SAN, enabling everyone to capture, share and edit directly onto a storage system in real-time — improving collaboration and eliminating wasted time copying files. ISANmp requires no metadata controllers — ever, is compatible with standard third-party FC and iSCSI storage, is fast & simple to setup, incredibly easy to use/maintain and works with your favorite pro-apps on Mac and Windows.

Introducing globalSAN v5 for OSX LION!

For many years SNS has been providing the globalSAN OSX iSCSI initiator to the Apple Community to use free of charge. Support for globalSAN has always been available from our user forum and we've done our very best to support as many target combinations as we could develop for. One of the great things about this approach is that we've made tens of thousands of relationships over the years, which offered a very robust pool of BETA users, essentially friends of SNS that help put the new releases and updates to our code through their paces.

The SNS team is proud to announce that globalSAN v5 for OSX LION will be available for sale at our online store beginning September 19. As a token of appreciation to the OSX iSCSI initiator community we will be offering globalSAN v5 for just $49 through October 19, then globalSAN V5 will revert to it's regular price of $89. The list of new features include OSX Lion support, Support for EMC ALUA-failover mode 4 (active/active), multiple selection in the list of connections, Connect/Disconnect via CLI, advanced support for the new globalSAN Xtarget Storage Server (see below) and of course Microsoft's iSCSI storage server support are included in the upgrade. OSX LION has amazing new features that bring iSCSI storage networking to a new level. For example, Xsan, (Apple's networked filesystem, now included in OSX)  is supported in the globalSAN OSX LION upgrade! The globalSAN iSCSI solution appears like Fibre Channel to the Xsan software, allowing all of the amazing features of Xsan to be 100% compatible with your existing Ethernet network with NO Fibre Channel components required.

Last but not least, introducing globalSAN Xtarget Storage Server for OSX LION!

GlobalSAN Xtarget Storage Server is the first iSCSI target software available for the Macintosh OS. Xtarget Storage Server enables you with the ability to turn ANY direct-attached storage device such as Thunderbolt, eSATA, FireWire and USB, into a sharable, networkable iSCSI storage server - turn DAS in to SAN! Xtarget Storage server and the globalSAN initiator are fully integrated into the same application so when you download your copy of the iSCSI initiator on September 14, you can also give the Xtarget Beta a spin with the included 14 day trail. Pricing TBA mid September.

As always, we at SNS appreciate our customers and look forward to bringing the very best in software solutions to you and your business. Thank you for your kind attention.

Sincerely,

SNSryan

So, "I know we have offered a free product for years and have gotten great recognition for it and we will continue to get lots of hits since many blogs have mentioned our free software over the years. But now that Lion is out and our product is broke, we are going to charge you for it. Those of you who were using it? We have you by the short and curlies. Everyone else who just discovered us thinking our product was free and worked? Tough. Pay us $89 for what should be a free product."

So if I'm going to have to buy something, I'm buying from someone else. That is pretty lame.

EXCITING??!! WTF?!

This is not the way to make serious business. A serious way would have been to give your "friends" a free Lion compatible version for a while, giving to the people the possibility to retrieve back their data, and LATER make it a no-longer-free-product. That would have been serious, still not exciting, but serious at least.

(...)

The SNS team is proud to announce that globalSAN v5 for OSX LION will be available for sale at our online store beginning September 19. As a token of appreciation to the OSX iSCSI initiator community we will be offering globalSAN v5 for just $49 through October 19, then globalSAN V5 will revert to it's regular price of $89.

(...)

Exciting this is... Rather upsetting. Or woRse.

If you need an R for a Rip-off, taking it from the wRong place, fRiends may become fiends.

Honestly, this is Really Ridiculous. You made "tens of thousands of relationships over the years, which offered a very robust pool of BETA users" and then chaRging them 50 bucks to get theiR data back! You Really know how to make fRiends, don't you?

Besides, if I'm not mistaken, the softwaRe still is not multi-useR-able, oR is it? That is, how many people can wRite at the same time? One? Then it's a home pRoduct. How can you justify 90 dollaRs (Regular pRice) for it? What's the benefit for a home useR to get the softwaRe -- beyond getting back the own data...

Oh well, I'm out anyway. I Restored my data (using paRallels) and kissed iscsi good-bye. Still I will Read this foRum eageRly awaiting answeRs... Eventually you Re-evaluate your stRategy.

Best Regards, GerhaRd.

I suppose SNS never said their initiator was Lion capable in the first place and it was free so we cannot complain too much about poor or slow support. That said, I'd be happy to pay $50 for a good, reliable initiator if that's what it is. I NEED it to not cause a hard lock-up when I sleep my iMac or try to shutdown. If we're paying for this product, maybe SNS will have more incentive to get on top of the bugs. So, I'm not annoyed with charging for their time, I just hope I get a more reliable product and better support for my money.

Regards

There will be a fully functional 14 day trail period when you download globalSAN v5. This would be an excellent time to retrieve data.

Any chance for a student discount? 49$ is pretty expensive for a student's budget compared to free...

Besides, if I'm not mistaken, the softwaRe still is not multi-useR-able, oR is it? That is, how many people can wRite at the same time? One? Then it's a home pRoduct. How can you justify 90 dollaRs (Regular pRice) for it? What's the benefit for a home useR to get the softwaRe -- beyond getting back the own data...

Oh well, I'm out anyway. I Restored my data (using paRallels) and kissed iscsi good-bye. Still I will Read this foRum eageRly awaiting answeRs... Eventually you Re-evaluate your stRategy.

Best Regards, GerhaRd.

OK, I'm not enamoured by this announcement especially as I don't recall the product ever being touted as beta, and given that it made it to version 4 (major version) it doesn't fit the usual beta versioning (0.0.x up to 0.9.9) I can only think that this is simply a way for GlobalSAN to try to make extra money in tough economic times, fair enough I suppose.

HOWEVER, if you're going to rant then at least be accurate, iSCSI is NOT a multi user technology. That's like using a Y cable to hook up a USB drive to two computers and expecting it to work. It IS multi user at the file level, i.e. mount the iSCSI target on a server and share it via SMB/AFP or whatever and I'm pretty sure that GlobalSAN's initiator will let you do that just as well as any other.

Anyway, if we all want to stamp our feet and rant then we should really direct it at Apple for not including a native iSCSI initiator with OS X. They had it way back with Leopard beta and pulled it (or was that Snow Leopard, can't quote remember). Point is, Apple have already made the technology and decided not to include it despite the fact that Windows has had a built in initiator for years.

/rant ;)

Hello everyone,

i really cannot understand the displeasure regarding SNS's announcement. You should ALL be grateful that SNS started working on a lion-compatible version - irrespective of the price that SNS will charge you. Disregarding of ATTO's iSCSI that'll cost you about 200 bucks, there is just no comparable products available.

Additionally you're able to recover all your data for free, as there will be a 14day-free-trial. So WTH are you complaining about?! Sure, the communication could have been a lot better, but what really counts is the result. And this is the cheapest solution you can get! If you do not agree with SNS's new pricing, return to Lion (sure, here the initiator will remain free) or buy ATTO`s initiator for $199.

@SNS: Great work, guys! Thank you so much!

-svphex

Well, today is September 19 and I don't see any product announcement on the web page for the new lion-compatible version of globalSAN. And it isn't showing up in the App store.

Delay?