SNS Users' Forums
  • Announcements

• Eric Newbauer

Follow SNS on Twitter!

Get notifications via Twitter! Looking for instant updates? We're now also announcing new versions and beta programs via Twitter. Follow Studio Network Solutions on Twitter. Thanks!

Thank you SNSryan. Just having been heard is good news.

-------

Hello everyone! We are working on a Lion compatible release and hope to have something out soon.. To be notified of such announcements, please subscribe to the Product Announcements section of our users' forum found here: http://www.snsforums.com/index.php?showforum=3

Hello everyone! We are working on a Lion compatible release and hope to have something out soon.. To be notified of such announcements, please subscribe to the Product Announcements section of our users' forum found here: http://www.snsforums.com/index.php?showforum=3

Great to hear SNSRyan, without being specific, are we talking days or weeks do you think ?

WTF!! Lion is out since days now!! ...and SNS even didn't mentioned there might be a problem upgrading to Lion, that's too bad! :angry:

Works great here. SL upgraded to Lion, with both options enabled, connected to istgt on FreeBSD.

Whole disk encryption using FileVault and TimeMachine works as well!

Still no working CHAP Authentication though. :(

Interesting. It works for me well.

Upgrade from SL to Lion.

Before upgrade both iSCSI options switched on, also Header only error detection selected. No authentication.

Ietd iscsitarget on Linux. HeaderDigest option set.

I disconnected the drive during the upgrade.

After the upgrade and the initial housekeepings (reindex the main disk, first TM backup after the upgrade) the iscsi volume reconnected and works well.

I upgraded to Lion, had problems with my personal folders, had to move everything manually (some permissions misalignment as i discovered later), after complete erase and reinstall of Lion.

I don't have any problems with connecting to iSCSI volumes through globalSAN, but two things are abnormal

1) writing speed to my iSCSI raid now is about 8 megabytes a second. Used to be about 100+ megabytes a second. No problems with reading speed at all.

2) If i unmount volume and closing connection, i have to reboot my iMac, otherwise i can't do anything at all with globalSAN. Seems like program not receiving disconnect confirmation, so it hangs.

I am using TR8I-B.

Thanks

I have noticed a number of replies here that seem to imply troubles relating to an Upgrade Install to Lion vs. a Clean Install.

While I understand the desire for upgrade installs, I personally never perform them on my own systems, nor do I recommend them to others (friends, family or customers), and that has nothing to do with SNS products, and everything to do with Major changes to the OS. These are not 'dot' releases folks, and while some of the time, many environments will be 'ok' with an upgrade install, there are also weird compatibility issues that can occur, and can be difficult to replicate or troubleshoot due the nature of the 'upgrade', new System folders aside. I have seen this one cat release after the other.

I urge everyone, when trying a new software combination, try to do so in a clean install environment (as stated by others on this thread) it can provide better results and mitigate your risk should there be incompatibilities.

Best Regards and thank you all for your forum participation.

-Caspian

Caspian,

Although I certainly appreciate the issues, for me, doing a clean install would be quite challenging and very time consuming. Reinstalling dozens of applications, upgrades to older versions, etc, is not fun. Not that it is impossible, but it's the last thing that I'd like to do. That was one of my major reasons for moving to OSX from Windows - to avoid a lot of the maintenance. I do have a backup of SL that I can revert to, but I'm slogging through this for now.

-------------

I have noticed a number of replies here that seem to imply troubles relating to an Upgrade Install to Lion vs. a Clean Install.

While I understand the desire for upgrade installs, I personally never perform them on my own systems, nor do I recommend them to others (friends, family or customers), and that has nothing to do with SNS products, and everything to do with Major changes to the OS. ...

I urge everyone, when trying a new software combination, try to do so in a clean install environment (as stated by others on this thread) it can provide better results and mitigate your risk should there be incompatibilities.

Mr. Caspian,

My Lion problems with GlobalSan ISCSI initiator are not related to an upgrade versus a clean install. I have a new macbook air, factory installed with OS X Lion.

ISCS worked well on my Macbook Pro with Snow Leopard, but seem flaky on my air with Lion. I was able to get them both to mount, but I got a message that they needed to be repaired. After the repair, they are read only and I get a message to copy my data off of them.

ISCS worked well on my Macbook Pro with Snow Leopard, but seem flaky on my air with Lion. I was able to get them both to mount, but I got a message that they needed to be repaired. After the repair, they are read only and I get a message to copy my data off of them.

If you mount an HFS+ volume on two computers at once (which is an easy mistake to make with iSCSI), you do *really* bad things to the volume, as HFS+ is not a cluster-aware or multi-writer filesystem, and in the act of mounting, some writes occur. This trashes the volume pretty well. I made the same mistake myself when doing my tests with Lion.

If you mount an HFS+ volume on two computers at once (which is an easy mistake to make with iSCSI), you do *really* bad things to the volume, as HFS+ is not a cluster-aware or multi-writer filesystem, and in the act of mounting, some writes occur. This trashes the volume pretty well. I made the same mistake myself when doing my tests with Lion.

We make software called SANmp which works with the HFS+ file system to provide a simple shared environment for multiple users to have managed access to the same iSCSI Targets.

You can read more about it here:

http://www.studionetworksolutions.com/products/product_detail.php?pi=8

Regards,

-Caspian

With a QNAP SS-439, I can see the target and the LUN from the Preferences Pane but Disk Utility doesn't see it. I've tried pretty much every combination of authentication and other option settings. Will just wait for Lion fixed version...

I have a completely different problem which occurred occasionally under Snow Leopard, but seems to be reproducible consistently with Lion.

iSCSI volumes seem to mount and work quite well, transfer rates are OK, but then, as soon as I unmount an iSCSI volume, and when I click "disconnect" in the control panel, or try to shut down the computer, CPU usage suddenly goes up to 100%, the computer becomes completely unresponsive after a few seconds, and, during shutdown, the shutdown is running indefinitely.

I am using IETD on a linux machine as a target. The problem occurs on my MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and Mac Mini (All the machines I have).

Any ideas?

I have a completely different problem which occurred occasionally under Snow Leopard, but seems to be reproducible consistently with Lion.

iSCSI volumes seem to mount and work quite well, transfer rates are OK, but then, as soon as I unmount an iSCSI volume, and when I click "disconnect" in the control panel, or try to shut down the computer, CPU usage suddenly goes up to 100%, the computer becomes completely unresponsive after a few seconds, and, during shutdown, the shutdown is running indefinitely.

I am using IETD on a linux machine as a target. The problem occurs on my MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and Mac Mini (All the machines I have).

Any ideas?

I have exactly the same problem since Snow Leopard 10.6.8. With 10.6.8 and Lion (10.7.) the problems are the same. I can reproduce the CPU usage of 100% by disconnecting the network and waiting a couple of seconds or unmount an iSCSI volume. My transfer rate are definitely lower than version 10.6.7 and earlier Versions. Sorry, no idea...

With a QNAP SS-439, I can see the target and the LUN from the Preferences Pane but Disk Utility doesn't see it. I've tried pretty much every combination of authentication and other option settings. Will just wait for Lion fixed version...

This may not be a Lion issue. I see the same symptoms on Snow Leopard and Leopard. See the post "Connect and then... nothing?".

What, if anything, do you see in kernel.log after connecting?

Same problem for me on Lion. An umount of an iscsi target loads the CPU to 100%. At that point you basically need to force shutdown the machine.

Also globalSAN v.4.1.0.279 crashes the latest IETD (svn revision 453) on kernel 2.6.39 and above.

Rodolphe

I would just like to add my own experiences.

I performed a clean install of Lion, and then installed the globalSAN iSCSI software. The initiator can connect to the iSCSI host fine but none of the partitions will mount. Like others, when I disconnect from the iSCSI host one of the CPU cores goes to 100%.

I have a 2007 iMac, the iSCSI initiator is V4.1.0.279, and the iSCSI host is a QNAP NAS, TS-509 with V3.4.4 firmware (these all worked fine with initiator previously with Snow Leopard). I have no authentication/checksum set on both host and globalSAN initiator and have tried various settings changes, all with no joy.

I would just like to add my own experiences.

I performed a clean install of Lion, and then installed the globalSAN iSCSI software. The initiator can connect to the iSCSI host fine but none of the partitions will mount. Like others, when I disconnect from the iSCSI host one of the CPU cores goes to 100%.

I have a 2007 iMac, the iSCSI initiator is V4.1.0.279, and the iSCSI host is a QNAP NAS, TS-509 with V3.4.4 firmware (these all worked fine with initiator previously with Snow Leopard). I have no authentication/checksum set on both host and globalSAN initiator and have tried various settings changes, all with no joy.

Confirm, i have exactly the same problem! The CPU problem drives me crazy!

Now it would be really nice to know some kind of status on the development of the new Lion compatible version. I know it is freeware but we are some loyal users that don't wish to change our software.

It is killing me that I can't access my photo archive :/

Guys keep up the good work. We are many that appreciates your job.

I hope the final version will work out of the box.

Yes, it would be nice to have a more specific target delivery date. That would help us loyal folks plan our alternatives until the issue is resolved. I know SNS responded recently, but with a vague timeframe. Please - it's really putting a crimp on which direction I need to go. I have several months worth of backups that I can't access, and I already had a requirement to recover a file that I couldn't get to.

A better time frame would be really helpful. Thanks.

------------

Now it would be really nice to know some kind of status on the development of the new Lion compatible version. I know it is freeware but we are some loyal users that don't wish to change our software.

It is killing me that I can't access my photo archive :/

Guys keep up the good work. We are many that appreciates your job.

I hope the final version will work out of the box.

After a crash with Lion, I was not able to connect.

After an uninstall and a reinstall I get the following error message when trying to establish a portal..

Code E00002F0. iSCSI portal was not found at the specified address

Any ideas?

Just to add another case:

• Clean install of lion (formatted disk before)
  • Only iWorks installed
  • Only one user
  • NAS is Synology 1511+, DSM 3.2 beta
  • globalSAN initiator 4.1 build 279
  • Added group, then portal. Portal found target.
  • I tried many combinations of options: with or w/o CHAP, options on/off, error detections on/off. Always the same result: connects fine (also persistent), Server shows connection. BUT: It will not show in Finder or in terminal.
  • On server side I have max count segment bytes: receive 262144 bytes and sent 4096 bytes

Now looking in the console, one sees

• in system.log: Aug 13 22:39:09 proximus globalsand[62]: GLO Daemon: Unable to connect to the persistent target "docs" at 192.168.1.117 (0xe00002f0 - iSCSI portal was not found at the specified address).
  • in system log: Aug 13 22:40:10 proximus globalsand[62]: GLO Daemon: Successfully connected to the persistent target "iqn.2000-01.com.synology:syn1511.name" at 192.168.1.117.
  • in system log: Aug 13 22:40:15 proximus xsand[29]: Unable to connect to local FSMPM
  • in kernel.log: Aug 13 22:40:11 proximus kernel[0]: IOSCSIMultipathedLogicalUnit: Failed to Add Path 0xffffff8015bd3d00

Questions:

• Why does it try to connect the alias and then the iqn for the same?
  • Are you using xsan parts? I thought this is from Xserver?
  • For those where it works: Can you please post some more details? What is the server config? What is the initiator config? What does the kernel and system logs say?
  • And for sns: Do you have a timeline when the next release will be published? I have to decide (as many others) wether to stick with 10.7 w/o iscsi or wether to go back to 10.6.

Many thanks and best regards, Gerhard.

Sorry guys to deliver this message to you. But i recently had a call with SNS and they even called me back on my german cell phone (good service, guys!), but i was told that there will be no lion-compatible version for at least the next 6-8 months. :-( :-( Now i'm really really stuck, as i dont have any possibility to access all my data.

I even cannot use a windows PC to connect to my iSCSI targets, cause they are HFS+ formatted that Windows cannot use :-( :-(

Is there no alternative to Xtend ATTO San (200$)?? Does anyone want to share a license with me. I'm a student and cannot afford to buy such an expensive license...

-svphex

Hi Svphex,

There must be some confusion here, I can assure you that a Lion compatible version of globalSAN will be here much much sooner than 6 to 8 months.

-ryan