SNS Users' Forums
  • Announcements

• Eric Newbauer

Follow SNS on Twitter!

Get notifications via Twitter! Looking for instant updates? We're now also announcing new versions and beta programs via Twitter. Follow Studio Network Solutions on Twitter. Thanks!

Can someone (preferably from SNS) comment on the compatibility of the current version of globalSAN iSCSI Initatior (4.1.0.279) for OSX and OSX Lion 10.7 that is due to be released this month?

I can only tell you that I've just upgraded to Lion and my iSCSI volumes are not available...

The initiator (4.1 b279) shows the target as "Connected, Persistent" (green light) however the volumes

are not available for mounting in Disk Utility.... REAL problem, I have all my stuff on those volumes.

I guess a solution will be available, the question is when ?!

Same issue here. Shows connected but isn't mounted after Lion upgrade. I disconnected the drive and it now cannot connect at all. Was using it for Time Machine backups. Well, looks like those are gone until an update is available.

Same issue here. Shows connected but isn't mounted after Lion upgrade. I disconnected the drive and it now cannot connect at all. Was using it for Time Machine backups. Well, looks like those are gone until an update is available.

OMG, i have exactly the same problem here!! I was storing all my business data on an iSCSI drive. Can please anyone help me?

Same thing here.. doesn't work at all.

Are there any alternatives around? I seriously need to access my data on my iSCSI target.

Regards,

Joern

Till SGS (if at all) will provide an update, the option I see :

- Connect the volumes from another computer - Mac with earlier OS (10.6.X) or Windows...

- But the 195$ Atto initiator

any other idea ??

SGS - Please advise....

Same here - all stopped - does anyone know if there is any other iscsi client in this universe? This is annoying. Just a little warning that this one is incompatible...

Was thinking about this throughout at the day at work... I seem to recall seeing similar behavior when I first upgraded to v4.1 from the v3.x build I was using previously (in OSX 10.6.x). Checking "Always send "Session Type" when connecting." in the iSCSI Options dialog box resolved it for me. I know its a long shot, but does this change the behavior for anyone who has already upgraded to Lion?

Was thinking about this throughout at the day at work... I seem to recall seeing similar behavior when I first upgraded to v4.1 from the v3.x build I was using previously (in OSX 10.6.x). Checking "Always send "Session Type" when connecting." in the iSCSI Options dialog box resolved it for me. I know its a long shot, but does this change the behavior for anyone who has already upgraded to Lion?

Just checked - nope - this didn't fix it.

I have submitted a support case via the website; hopefully we will hear something soon. I really don't want to have to pay $200 for another software package for my home/personal use until we hear something from SNS.

I've found at least one person (via twitter) that seems to have no troubles with 4.1.279 and OSX Lion. He says he didn't use any special settings, just no authentication and a fresh install of Lion instead of an upgrade from Snow Leopard.

Anyone else here try w/o authentication, or uninstalling/reinstalling the initiator software after the upgrade to Lion?

I've already tried that, I'm always without authentication and tried uninstall, restart, install. nothing...

Even if a solution will be available in the near future, seems that one can not count on SNS.

I've already tried that, I'm always without authentication and tried uninstall, restart, install. nothing...

Even if a solution will be available in the near future, seems that one can not count on SNS.

Darn... I was hopeful it was that easy. It does make me feel a little better that there are some users who are able to get it to work, but I'm very hesitant to give it a try in my environment until we hear something from SNS. I can't wait too long though; a couple more days and I'll have to buy the ATTO initiator.

Anyone else here try w/o authentication, or uninstalling/reinstalling the initiator software after the upgrade to Lion?

I installed Lion today on a separate partition and SNS latest version 279 works first attempt. I'm not using authentication.

With this success I tried it on my active installation (SL 10.6.8) and it also works fine.

I did a full de-installation prior to the installation with the given uninstall script for version 204.

Prior to updating to Lion I would deinstall it and have a TM backup on a USB disk, just in case.

I have yet to upgrade to Mac OS X Lion because I knew there would be incompability with globalSAN iSCSI. The software hasn't worked since Snow Leopard, and I doubt it will be properly updated for Lion any time soon.

Until Studio Network Solutions ups their game, I will be moving to AFP when I upgrade to OS X Lion because I do not want any headaches that I dealt with because of globalSAN iSCSI when Snow Leopard came out. It may be slower, and less convenient, but it's proven to work.

I'm not trying to troll or hate; just simply stating known facts: there are many comments on these forums about globalSAN iSCSI not working properly with very little response or initiative shown by SNS.

-robodude666

Hi all,

Same issue. globaSAN iSCSI is not longer working after the installation of OSX Lion. Hope that somebody will fix the issue. It was previously working like a charm with my snow leopard installation :(

I uninstall the software without keeping the settings, reboot then reinstall it, reboot then setup the config. Connection state is green but no disk mount and no disk visible from the disk utility tools.

Teflux

Same thing as written by many others: after updating to OSX Lion no ISCSI-Disk. --> Return to OSX SL and a email @ globalsunsystem with the ask for a lion-compatible version of software.

I'm using Solaris 11 Express (b151) as my target, and using the instructions here http://www.eviltyrant.com/blog/?p=1104, I was able to create a working target for my MBP running Lion. Upgraded from Snow Leopard, not a fresh install. I can format new volumes as well as access old ones, and all file operations work (copy, move, rename, delete). Running Version 4.1 build 279. There are three issues:

#1: I can't reboot without a kernel panic

#2: I can't disconnect from a target (I have to delete and re-add the target)

#3: Power management is totally disabled on my MBP when globalSAN is installed.

Hope this helps. (BTW, this is NOT my production system - that system is still on 10.6 until I've had enough time to shake out 10.7 on my laptop)

Using 4.1 (build 279) - works fine on 10.7 Lion - on my system.

Installation process:

Clean install of 10.7

Clean install of globalsan 4.1

Under ISCSI Option - MUST set both flags (Session Type & AuthMethod) - THIS WAS NEVER REQUIRED BEFORE for my system to connect.

There are some quirks:

• Mac Pro wont mount target unless the target is running before it boots. Even quirkier - its sees it but wont mount it.

• If the Mac Pro looses connection with the target it wont shut down - requires hard shut down

Mac Pro

24TB Freenas 8.0.1

Hi all,

in the OSX Konsole the connector throws errors:

22.07.11 16:52:30,000 kernel: GLO Warning: Tail (66 bytes) of the Data Segment (PDU 0xffffff8018292c00) will be ignored.

22.07.11 16:52:30,000 kernel: EMCDiskArrayController5::probe fails

22.07.11 16:52:30,000 kernel: GLO Warning: Tail (66 bytes) of the Data Segment (PDU 0xffffff8018292c00) will be ignored.

22.07.11 16:52:30,000 kernel: IOSCSIMultipathedLogicalUnit: Failed to Add Path 0xffffff80189d7800

Sounds like a wrong API call!

This should be easy to fix.

Dirk

iMac

Synology DS410

Using 4.1 (build 279) - works fine on 10.7 Lion - on my system.

Installation process:

Clean install of 10.7

Clean install of globalsan 4.1

Under ISCSI Option - MUST set both flags (Session Type & AuthMethod) - THIS WAS NEVER REQUIRED BEFORE for my system to connect.

There are some quirks:

• Mac Pro wont mount target unless the target is running before it boots. Even quirkier - its sees it but wont mount it.

• If the Mac Pro looses connection with the target it wont shut down - requires hard shut down

Mac Pro

24TB Freenas 8.0.1

I did also the same thing: new installation of Lion and globalsan 4.1, setting both flags... --> no iscsi disk

What's the difference?

Hi all,

Doesn't work here either. Clean install of Lion (not an upgrade), latest globalsan (globalSAN_4.1.0.279.dmg), Synology ds1511+. Targets are being detected and it says they're connected, but nothing shows up in either disk utility or finder.

Why is nobody from SNS responding to this issue ?

Should I shell out $200 for the alternative ? Shame to do that, the GlobalSAN initiator is great.

This is the problem with an unsupported product. They'll get to it when they feel like it. GlobalSAN initiator is great, agreed. But when OS changes come about, we should expect to have problems every time. Welcome to the world of no support. But I also agree it would be nice to hear from SNS just to let us know what the roadmap looks like to correct the problem.