SNS Users' Forums
  • Announcements

• Eric Newbauer

Follow SNS on Twitter!

Get notifications via Twitter! Looking for instant updates? We're now also announcing new versions and beta programs via Twitter. Follow Studio Network Solutions on Twitter. Thanks!

I was wondering if anyone has successfully got the 4.1 beta working with a iSCSI target provided by Solaris Express 11 (COMSTAR target). I'm in the process of upgrading a home server that exports a iSCSI LUN that is used for Time Machine on my personal laptop and doing some testing it appears that the two do not play nicely together. Looking at the forums it seems that this is a common issue. Has anyone managed to get the two working together?

I was wondering if anyone has successfully got the 4.1 beta working with a iSCSI target provided by Solaris Express 11 (COMSTAR target). I'm in the process of upgrading a home server that exports a iSCSI LUN that is used for Time Machine on my personal laptop and doing some testing it appears that the two do not play nicely together. Looking at the forums it seems that this is a common issue. Has anyone managed to get the two working together?

Same situation here.

I am running my mac machines in 64 mode and am stuck.

Anyone has seen an indication on resolution of the (open)solaris <-> globalSAN 4.1 login issue?

Same situation here.

I am running my mac machines in 64 mode and am stuck.

Anyone has seen an indication on resolution of the (open)solaris <-> globalSAN 4.1 login issue?

You can always run the 4.0 (206) on OS X to connect to a COMSTAR iSCSI target. I have been doing so for quite a while and besides the "issue" with the pref pane being only 32Bit, which causes a reload of the System Settings application when the GlobalSAN prefs get loaded, it worked well with either my OSol snv134, oi148 and my Sol11 Expr targets.

Regarding 4.1, there is an issue with the early builds, but build 247 should work on a regular OS X system. It has a severe performance issue on OS X Server, though.

So, either wait for the next Beta build, that remedies this issue or stay with 4.0 for the moment.

Cheers,

budy

You can always run the 4.0 (206) on OS X to connect to a COMSTAR iSCSI target. I have been doing so for quite a while and besides the "issue" with the pref pane being only 32Bit, which causes a reload of the System Settings application when the GlobalSAN prefs get loaded, it worked well with either my OSol snv134, oi148 and my Sol11 Expr targets.

Regarding 4.1, there is an issue with the early builds, but build 247 should work on a regular OS X system. It has a severe performance issue on OS X Server, though.

So, either wait for the next Beta build, that remedies this issue or stay with 4.0 for the moment.

Cheers,

budy

I tried this, 4.0 on macbookpro running 64 bit kernel,

I see the following error messages from system.log

Feb 9 17:40:05 Peters-MacBook-Pro com.apple.kextd[10]: Can't load /System/Library/Extensions/globalSAN.kext - no code for running kernel's architecture.

Feb 9 17:40:05 Peters-MacBook-Pro com.apple.kextd[10]: Failed to load /System/Library/Extensions/globalSAN.kext - (libkern/kext) requested architecture/executable not found.

Feb 9 17:40:05 Peters-MacBook-Pro com.apple.kextd[10]: Load com.sns.driver.SnsiSCSI failed; removing personalities.

Feb 9 17:40:05 Peters-MacBook-Pro com.apple.kextd[10]: Can't load /System/Library/Extensions/globalSAN.kext - no code for running kernel's architecture.

Feb 9 17:40:05 Peters-MacBook-Pro com.apple.kextd[10]: Failed to load /System/Library/Extensions/globalSAN.kext - (libkern/kext) requested architecture/executable not found.

Feb 9 17:40:05 Peters-MacBook-Pro com.apple.kextd[10]: Load com.sns.driver.SnsiSCSI failed; removing personalities.

Feb 9 17:40:05 Peter-MacBook-Pro /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow[37]: Login Window Application Started

Feb 9 17:40:05 Peterss-MacBook-Pro com.apple.kextd[10]: Can't load /System/Library/Extensions/IOSerialFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/InternalModemSupport.kext - no code for running kernel's architecture.

Feb 9 17:40:05 Peters-MacBook-Pro com.apple.kextd[10]: Failed to load /System/Library/Extensions/IOSerialFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/InternalModemSupport.kext - (libkern/kext) requested architecture/executable not found.

Feb 9 17:40:05 Peters-MacBook-Pro com.apple.kextd[10]: Load com.apple.driver.InternalModemSupport failed; removing personalities.

Feb 9 17:40:06 Peters-MacBook-Pro globalsand[52]: Can't connect to the iSCSIConnectionController driver object

Feb 9 17:40:06 Peters-MacBook-Pro globalsand[52]: GLO Daemon: Unable to establish connection with globalSAN driver!

Cheers,

budy

Is there a guide for SOL 11? I get code E3FF8300 Target hardware or software error in r204. The 64bit initiator gives me E3FF8208 Invalid Request type during Login.

Following this post: http://thegreyblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/setting-up-solaris-comstar-and.html

Is there a guide for SOL 11? I get code E3FF8300 Target hardware or software error in r204. The 64bit initiator gives me E3FF8208 Invalid Request type during Login.

Following this post: http://thegreyblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/setting-up-solaris-comstar-and.html

FYI, I tried my COMSTAR setup on Windows and the iSCSI initiator works fine. This is not a setup issue on the server.

FYI, I tried my COMSTAR setup on Windows and the iSCSI initiator works fine. This is not a setup issue on the server.

Which build of the GlobalSAN 4.1 are you using? I don't remember from the top of my head, which one had this issue, but the "Invalid Request type during login" issue had been resolved already - I think it had been in build 246 or so. That build runs fine on a regular OS X system, but will have performance issues on OS X Server.

Cheers,

budy

I guess that this will only work when booting the kernel in 32 bit mode. When a 64 bit kernel is used and a iSCSI target connection to a solaris box is required, there is no workable option at the moment, right?

Any indication when a new (beta) version will come out to address the solaris login issue?

Which build of the GlobalSAN 4.1 are you using? I don't remember from the top of my head, which one had this issue, but the "Invalid Request type during login" issue had been resolved already - I think it had been in build 246 or so. That build runs fine on a regular OS X system, but will have performance issues on OS X Server.

Cheers,

budy

4.1 BETA Build 247

4.1 BETA Build 247

This new build didn't work for me. I'm still getting the 'Code E3FF820B. Invalid request type during Login' message while trying to connect to Solaris Express 11.

kernel.log shows:

Mar 14 23:44:43 macbook kernel[0]: GLO Warning: Error 32 while receiving BHS.

Mar 14 23:44:43 macbook kernel[0]: GLO Warning: Receiving thread has stopped with error 32.

This new build didn't work for me. I'm still getting the 'Code E3FF820B. Invalid request type during Login' message while trying to connect to Solaris Express 11.

kernel.log shows:

Mar 14 23:44:43 macbook kernel[0]: GLO Warning: Error 32 while receiving BHS.

Mar 14 23:44:43 macbook kernel[0]: GLO Warning: Receiving thread has stopped with error 32.

Same issue here. I have not been able to get build 247 to connect to Solaris 11 express

syslog

Mar 27 05:49:31 Mac globalsand[46]: GLO Daemon: Unable to connect to the persistent target "SolariS11" at 192.168.XX.XX (0xe3ff820b - Invalid request type during Login).

kernel log

Mar 27 05:49:31 Mac kernel[0]: GLO Warning: Error 32 while receiving BHS.

Mar 27 05:49:31 Mac kernel[0]: GLO Warning: Receiving thread has stopped with error 32.

Same issue here. I have not been able to get build 247 to connect to Solaris 11 express

syslog

Mar 27 05:49:31 Mac globalsand[46]: GLO Daemon: Unable to connect to the persistent target "SolariS11" at 192.168.XX.XX (0xe3ff820b - Invalid request type during Login).

kernel log

Mar 27 05:49:31 Mac kernel[0]: GLO Warning: Error 32 while receiving BHS.

Mar 27 05:49:31 Mac kernel[0]: GLO Warning: Receiving thread has stopped with error 32.

Hello,

Please try v4.1.0.279 instead and let us know how it goes.

-ryan

Hello,

Please try v4.1.0.279 instead and let us know how it goes.

-ryan

Seems to have fixed the issues. Working perfectly with a Solaris 11 install, getting a noticeable performance increase as well when copying files around which is really nice.

Seems to have fixed the issues. Working perfectly with a Solaris 11 install, getting a noticeable performance increase as well when copying files around which is really nice.

Great, thanks for the feedback!

-ryan

Great, thanks for the feedback!

-ryan

I just downloaded, installed, and setup build 279, and I have to admit it works better than build 247. In that it does work. However, it does have a pretty severe performance issue. I copied a gig file over to my file server, and it did burst to 100MB/s for a few seconds, and copied 346MB, and then it just stopped. It waited several seconds, then it sent another 30MB, then stopped, etc, and took a couple of minutes to actually finish transferring the file. I am presently doing a Time Machine back up and it is bursting between 10 ~ 20MB/s every 3 seconds or so, and otherwise not sending data. It has taken 10 minutes to send 2.67GBs over a gigabit network. It would have been faster to send them over SMB, I generally see at least a constant ~60MB/s with SMB to this server.

Here is the config:

First Gen Mac Pro

Mac OS X 10.6.7

globalSAN b279

1000BaseT CAT6 network

Solaris 11 Express

ZFS

COMSTAR iSCSI configation

Yes just got it eventually up and running fine. Took me a while to set up the COMSTAR TARGET as I hadnt set up the new COMSTAR iSCSI transport implementation. After loading pkg install storage-server SUNWiscsit

all worked fine.