SNS Users' Forums
  • Announcements

• Eric Newbauer

Follow SNS on Twitter!

Get notifications via Twitter! Looking for instant updates? We're now also announcing new versions and beta programs via Twitter. Follow Studio Network Solutions on Twitter. Thanks!

Have you tried it on 10.6 yet? This will certainly be holding me back from upgrading to 10.6 if it does not work, which would be most unfortunate.

Have you tried it on 10.6 yet? This will certainly be holding me back from upgrading to 10.6 if it does not work, which would be most unfortunate.

Hi, I have not tried yet. But as MacOS 10.6 will include a new kernel, the old kernel module will most certainly not work with the new kernel.

Any information from Studionetworksolutions on this matter?

Hi, I have not tried yet. But as MacOS 10.6 will include a new kernel, the old kernel module will most certainly not work with the new kernel.

Any information from Studionetworksolutions on this matter?

Hello!

Yes, you are correct. 10.6.x will require a new version of the initiator. This version is not ready for release, yet. A post will be made to the forum when a Snow Leopard compatible version of globalSAN is available for download. FYI - I would not expect anything on August 28th (Snow leopard release date).

-ryan

Edited by SNSryan

Hi,

I tried globalSAN on Snow Leopard client and server - both are working fine.

Peter

Hello!

Yes, you are correct. 10.6.x will require a new version of the initiator. This version is not ready for release, yet. A post will be made to the forum when a Snow Leopard compatible version of globalSAN is available for download. FYI - I would not expect anything on August 28th (Snow leopard release date).

-ryan

Hi,

I tried globalSAN on Snow Leopard client and server - both are working fine.

Peter

Hello Peter,

you are partially right.

It will work as long as you don't boot in 64 bit kernel mode.

I've tried it and it doesn't work when booted in 64bit kernel.

To the team: i'm willing to beta test a 64 bit version when ready for testing.

Would very much like it to work in a 64 environment as it really speeds up my mac.

Bas

Ditto:

To the team: i'm willing to beta test a 64 bit version when ready for testing.

Would very much like it to work in a 64 environment as it really speeds up my mac.

I am willing to test a new 64bit Version too!

Add me to the list as well.

I have Snow Leopard, but was waiting to install it until I was sure GlobalSAN would work. Question for those running SnowLeopard in 32 bit mode... how easy is it to switch between the 32 bit and 64 bit kernal? Does it take a re-install or do you simple change a setting in System Preferences?

Add me to the list as well.

I have Snow Leopard, but was waiting to install it until I was sure GlobalSAN would work. Question for those running SnowLeopard in 32 bit mode... how easy is it to switch between the 32 bit and 64 bit kernal? Does it take a re-install or do you simple change a setting in System Preferences?

They made it insanely simple:

At boot hold '3' and '2' keys simultaneously to boot the 32-bit kernel.

or

At boot hold '6' and '4' keys simultaneously to boot the 64-bit kernel.

Booting normally will launch a quasi-64-bit kernel that will support 32-bit apps.

~CC ;)

Any updates on when the new version will be out? I've seen System Preferences hand whenever my Mac tires to do a Time Machine backup over iSCSI using the globalSAN initiator.

Any updates on when the new version will be out? I've seen System Preferences hand whenever my Mac tires to do a Time Machine backup over iSCSI using the globalSAN initiator.

Hi, could you please elaborate more about your experiences with Time Machine and iSCSI? What do you mean "I've seen System Preferences hand whenever ..."? Why should there be a problem with iSCSI and using Time Machine to back up to a NAS that support iSCSI?

Thanks!

Serg

Same problem here (before upgrading to Snow Leopard), sometimes when TM backup starts it hangs while "preparing backup" phase and never terminate and system preferences panel hangs/doesn't open.

I upgraded yesterday to Snow Leopard, will test what happen now....

FYI: I had no issues whatsoever after the upgrade to Snow Leopard, and using an GlobalSAN iSCSI connected NAS drive as Time Machine backup.

The only difference with before, is that, to connect to the drive via the System Prefs panel - since I didn't make the connection 'persistent' on my laptops - is that when calling the GlobalSAN pref pane, the System Prefs need to restart in 32-bit mode, which only takes a blink of an eye.

So: no issues or sorrows at all...

FWIW: I'ld also be ready to beta-test a 64-bit version though...

Greets,

DD

I have been using this with Leopard with much success. I upgraded a server to Snow Leopard and was amazed at what 64 bit speed is.

Then I tried to initiate ISCSI and to my dismay found it did not work in 64 bit mode.

Booting in 32 Bit works fine, however I really want to revert back to 64.

I love studio networks but getting a response has been slow and I am tempted to buy a competitors driver that is 64 bit .

PLEASE RESPOND as I would rather spend the 200 bucks on something else!

For those of you curious to my setup, Xserve, Promise Vtrak Raid, Time machine via ISCSI to a 48 TB Super micro NAS

When can we expect a MacOS 10.6 compatible iSCSI Initiator version?

Hello,

A 32bit beta should be available very soon. The 64bit version will follow shortly thereafter. A post will be made to the product announcements forum when the Beta versions are available for download.

-ryan

Hi,

anything new in this case? Officially there is still no 10.6 compatible globalSAN version available. Did you already release a beta versions of globalSAN? A 64bit version would be appreciated.

regards,

Matthias

Hi,

do you have a beta Version of iSCSI initiator for Mac OS X 64 bit? I would be very cool.

Thanks & Regards,

Patrick

We've just announced a beta of globalSAN version 4.0. Check out this post for more info!

32-bit support is here. 64-bit Snow Leopard compatibility will be coming in a future release...

Please be sure to read the quick start doc included in the installer if you need help with the updated UI.

We've just announced a beta of globalSAN version 4.0. Check out this post for more info!

32-bit support is here. 64-bit Snow Leopard compatibility will be coming in a future release...

Please be sure to read the quick start doc included in the installer if you need help with the updated UI.

Does this beta allow you to boot snowleopard into the normal 32bit/64 bit mode, and not the 32 bit only mode where you have hold 3 and 2 during bootup?

If so that is awesome and I will install it right away.

Does this beta allow you to boot snowleopard into the normal 32bit/64 bit mode, and not the 32 bit only mode where you have hold 3 and 2 during bootup?

If so that is awesome and I will install it right away.

I think you may be confused as to the possibilities when booting Snow Leopard. There are only two modes: 32-bit mode and 64-bit mode. These numbers refer only to the kernel, the absolute core of the OS where the drivers are implemented. Both kernels are able to load both 32-bit and 64-bit software.

Because there were not drivers available for some hardware, Apple made it the default to boot into 32-bit mode on almost all hardware. With some Intel Macs, there are ways to override the default, in order to boot into 64-bit mode on every boot.

If you have hardware that boots 64-bit mode by default, or if you have made the persistent change to 64-bit mode manually, then you might want to hold down '3' and '2' to trigger 32-bit mode. Otherwise, holding down these numbers will not change the mode.

I think you may be confused as to the possibilities when booting Snow Leopard. There are only two modes: 32-bit mode and 64-bit mode. These numbers refer only to the kernel, the absolute core of the OS where the drivers are implemented. Both kernels are able to load both 32-bit and 64-bit software.

Because there were not drivers available for some hardware, Apple made it the default to boot into 32-bit mode on almost all hardware. With some Intel Macs, there are ways to override the default, in order to boot into 64-bit mode on every boot.

If you have hardware that boots 64-bit mode by default, or if you have made the persistent change to 64-bit mode manually, then you might want to hold down '3' and '2' to trigger 32-bit mode. Otherwise, holding down these numbers will not change the mode.

I am not confused at all about it. I have a new xserve running 10.6, when I boot normally, GlobalSAN System Preferences doesn't work(fails with an error), when I hold 32 and boot, it works fine, which is what ive been having to do to use my RAID over iSCSI... so I was wondering if this new beta fixed that yet or not before I installed it.