SNS Users' Forums
  • Announcements

• Eric Newbauer

Follow SNS on Twitter!

Get notifications via Twitter! Looking for instant updates? We're now also announcing new versions and beta programs via Twitter. Follow Studio Network Solutions on Twitter. Thanks!

Hi,

i've recognized an issue with 10.5.7 and the hibernate mode.

When having globalSAN iSCSI Initiator installed and have a persistent connection to a iSCSI target, my MacBook does not go into hibernate mode when closing the lid (or clicking on "Hibernate"). Instead the system hangs up.

Deinstalling globalSAN iSCSI Initiator fixed the problem - but when installing it again and connected to a iSCSI target, the issue reappears.

I'm connecting to a FreeBSD system as target with "iscsi-target" as service.

Regards,

Mike

I was able to reproduce this issue on 2 more Macs. (running 10.5.6 and 10.5.7!!)

The issue occured on any Macs i've tested - but the connection to the iscsi target has to be established via Airport (!) - the issue does not appear when connected only via ethernet.

Seems to be a major bug in globalsan iscsi (or macos)

Guest Loring
I was able to reproduce this issue on 2 more Macs. (running 10.5.6 and 10.5.7!!)

The issue occured on any Macs i've tested - but the connection to the iscsi target has to be established via Airport (!) - the issue does not appear when connected only via ethernet.

Seems to be a major bug in globalsan iscsi (or macos)

Hello.

globalSAN does not support sleep. If you need to enable sleep on your workstation, you should disconnect any iSCSI targets via the globalSAN initiator first.

Best regards,

Loring

You cannot be serious!

Who really wants to use a piece of software that crashes your system when clicking the wrong button...?

This is really a bug.

It is an easy trick to make globalsan iscsi able to realize when the system wants to go to hibernate and then disconnects the target automatically -> this would prevent a crash.

http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2004/qa1340.html

You cannot be serious!

Who really wants to use a piece of software that crashes your system when clicking the wrong button...?

This is really a bug.

It is an easy trick to make globalsan iscsi able to realize when the system wants to go to hibernate and then disconnects the target automatically -> this would prevent a crash.

http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2004/qa1340.html

Hi MRiscsi,

What type of environment are you using the globalSAN initiator in? Most audio and video applications require power/energy settings such as hibernate and sleep to be disabled.

-ryan

Hi MRiscsi,

What type of environment are you using the globalSAN initiator in? Most audio and video applications require power/energy settings such as hibernate and sleep to be disabled.

-ryan

I'm running the globalsan iscsi in a standard office environment...

And after a while of testing this "click disconnect before hibernate" thing makes the software useless in such environments - until globalsan uses the mentioned method to fix their code... :unsure:

Hi,

I encountered the same issue with globalSAN 3.3.0.43 and mac os 10.6. I first though that it was a compatibility issue with snow leopard as that's the first time i'm using globalSAN. As soon as my MBP goes asleep (closing the lid or inactivity), it crashes to a black empty screen.

Do you plans to implement sleep mode support anytime soon? Just so i know if there's sense to keep using iSCSI under OSX at all (no point if this feature's not supported for a classic client use).

Hi,

I encountered the same issue with globalSAN 3.3.0.43 and mac os 10.6. I first though that it was a compatibility issue with snow leopard as that's the first time i'm using globalSAN. As soon as my MBP goes asleep (closing the lid or inactivity), it crashes to a black empty screen.

Do you plans to implement sleep mode support anytime soon? Just so i know if there's sense to keep using iSCSI under OSX at all (no point if this feature's not supported for a classic client use).

Hello,

Yes, we plan to implement this feature soon. Possibly in the next release :-)

-ryan

Hi Ryan,

is there news about the next release?

Will it contain a fix for hibernate?

For mobile environments the iSCSI Initator is useless without this fix... :(

Greetings

Hi Ryan,

is there news about the next release?

Will it contain a fix for hibernate?

For mobile environments the iSCSI Initator is useless without this fix... :(

Greetings

Hello Torsten,

The next release of globalSAN will contain a new feature for supporting hibernate/sleep. We must ensure this new feature doesn't mess with our audio/video user base as it is a requirement by all major audio/video apps to disable hibernate and sleep.

We are working hard to get a release out ASAP. Please subscribe to the product announcements forum to be automatically notified of any new software releases.

regards,

ryan

Hi,

We've just announced a beta version for globalSAN v4.0. This version adds support for hibernate/sleep. Go here for additional details and download link. I look forward to everyones feedback.

-ryan

Hi,

We've just announced a beta version for globalSAN v4.0. This version adds support for hibernate/sleep. Go here for additional details and download link. I look forward to everyones feedback.

-ryan

Hello Ryan,

Version 4.0 does not work good for me... :(

When I connect a target and put my Macs to sleep, they don't wake up any more or they wake up but the connection to the target got lost (even if it was marked as persistent). Connecting the target again isn't possible in this state, only after reboot.

dmesg says:

(...)

SCSIPressurePathManager: Timed out waiting for inactive/error path to become active, loops = 9

SCSIPressurePathManager: Timed out waiting for inactive/error path to become active, loops = 9

SNSSCSIPeripheralDeviceType00::setPowerState(0x851ec00, 4 -> 3) timed out after 100133 ms

(...)

This is my test equipment:

- iMac (Intel), Mac OS X 10.6.2, connected via Ethernet

- MacBook Pro (Intel), Mac OS X 10.6.2, connected via Airport

- Synology DiskStation DS 209, Firmware DSM 2.2-0942, different iSCSI-Targets with CHAP (target only), header and data CRC on

Is there any chance to debug this? How can I help?

Hello Ryan,

When I connect a target and put my Macs to sleep, they don't wake up any more or they wake up but the connection to the target got lost (even if it was marked as persistent). Connecting the target again isn't possible in this state, only after reboot.

dmesg says:

(...)

SNSSCSIPeripheralDeviceType00::setPowerState(0x851ec00, 4 -> 3) timed out after 100133 ms

(...)

- Synology DiskStation DS 209, Firmware DSM 2.2-0942, different iSCSI-Targets with CHAP (target only), header and data CRC on

Hey Torsten, I'm sending you a private message with further instructions.

-ryan

Torsten, please send an email to iscsi@studionetworksolutions.com . The private messaging feature is experiencing problems right now.

-ryan

Hello,

A newer version of the initiator is available that may address your hibernate/sleep issues. This new version is available for download here -

http://www.snsftp.com/guest/globalSAN_4.0.0.204_BETA.dmg

Please try to reproduce the issue using this newer version and let us know your results. Thanks for your help. I look forward to hearing from you.

-ryan

Hello Ryan,

dmesg says:

(...)

(...)

Hi, try disabling any authentication/Chap on the target and let us know if the problems continue.

-ryan