SNS Users' Forums
  • Announcements

• Eric Newbauer

Follow SNS on Twitter!

Get notifications via Twitter! Looking for instant updates? We're now also announcing new versions and beta programs via Twitter. Follow Studio Network Solutions on Twitter. Thanks!
Derek Jones

Command line ability to shutdown X4

Hi, I was wondering if there is a way to create a script that would shut down all my X4s through an automated command line process?

The reason I ask is... I've been having intermittent problems with the A/C unit in our server room. When the AC goes out the ambient temp goes well over 100 degrees Fahrenheit. I found a utility that will allow one of the Macs I have in the server room to monitor the ambient temp of the room, If/when it goes over 85 degrees it shoots me an SMS text message to my phone and an email using an apple script. With the holiday upon us, I was wondering if there was a way to execute a shutdown script for the X4s if I'm out of town and can't come into the office to shut everything down?

Hi, I was wondering if there is a way to create a script that would shut down all my X4s through an automated command line process?

The reason I ask is... I've been having intermittent problems with the A/C unit in our server room. When the AC goes out the ambient temp goes well over 100 degrees Fahrenheit. I found a utility that will allow one of the Macs I have in the server room to monitor the ambient temp of the room, If/when it goes over 85 degrees it shoots me an SMS text message to my phone and an email using an apple script. With the holiday upon us, I was wondering if there was a way to execute a shutdown script for the X4s if I'm out of town and can't come into the office to shut everything down?

This question was answered off line near the time of original posting.

Warning! The following outlined procedure is not recommend or supported.

The X-4 (and all other globalSAN hardware units) are accessible via telnet. Telnet must be enabled via the globalSAN web interface:

1. Log into your globalSAN unit via a web browser window.

2. Choose the “Network” button on the left side of the page.

3. Choose the "Remote Console" tab at the top of the page.

4. Change the "Remote console enabled at next boot:" drop down to "Enabled".

5. Choose the "Start" button under "Remote Console Management Options".

This will allow you to access globalSAN via telnet. Once logged in via telnet, entering the command "poweroff", followed by a "yes" confirmation will shut the unit down. This could be done via Applescript or a shell script in OS X.

The X-4 (and all other globalSAN hardware units) are accessible via telnet. Telnet must be enabled via the globalSAN web interface:

1. Log into your globalSAN unit via a web browser window.

2. Choose the “Network” button on the left side of the page.

3. Choose the "Remote Console" tab at the top of the page.

4. Change the "Remote console enabled at next boot:" drop down to "Enabled".

5. Choose the "Start" button under "Remote Console Management Options".

This will allow you to access globalSAN via telnet. Once logged in via telnet, entering the command "poweroff", followed by a "yes" confirmation will shut the unit down. This could be done via Applescript or a shell script in OS X.

Was the telnet server added in a later version of the Wasabi flashware? Our unit is running on an image listed as version "WSB 1500i MR4." from 2005, and the "Remote Console" tab is not present.

Guest Loring
Was the telnet server added in a later version of the Wasabi flashware? Our unit is running on an image listed as version "WSB 1500i MR4." from 2005, and the "Remote Console" tab is not present.

I believe the console was enabled in version 1.6.x .

Loring