SNS Users' Forums
  • Announcements

• Eric Newbauer

Follow SNS on Twitter!

Get notifications via Twitter! Looking for instant updates? We're now also announcing new versions and beta programs via Twitter. Follow Studio Network Solutions on Twitter. Thanks!

This is great feedback, thank you very much. Without having this target it's difficult to make such discoveries. Let us know if you find anything on the target side. Keep an eye on the product announcements forum ;)

regards,

ryan

Hi Ryan,

iET is free... so your lab at GlobalSAN should be using it. I have it working here, with your globalSAN initiator for Mac OS X.

I am on gigabit networking, without Jumbo Frames and can drive 100 Mbytes/sec to my iET target (time machine)

iET Target Machine

---------------------

Linux=ubuntu 7.10 i386 on dual core intel 2.4 Ghz 3G RAM

NIC=intel e1000 compat

Disk:

2xMaxtor Sata w/tcq on i965 chipset => Linux SW RAID1 => LVM =>Logical Volume (60GB)

ietd.conf:

Target iqn.2008-04.lan.local:lvm-TimeMachine

Lun 0 Path=/dev/VolGroup01/TimeMachine,Type=fileio,IOMode=wb

Works like a champ.....

except of course the pduHeader error....

ala Zeitkind (Mar 30)

Version 3.3.0.35 (Beta) of the globalSAN iSCSI initiator for OS X is available for download here!

Correction, version 3.3.0.35 (Beta) of the globalSAN iSCSI initiator for OS X is available for download. here!

Correction, version 3.3.0.35 (Beta) of the globalSAN iSCSI initiator for OS X is available for download. here!

The 1st link to the download was incorrect.

So far I've transferred 250GB of 1.59TB to the target in just over 4 hours and it's still going strong... version 3.3.0.35 (Beta) is looking good. With the previous rev I'd get a kernal crash after 6GB or so. GlobalSAN is running on an Intel iMac (OSX 10.5.2) and the target is a Thecus N5200B PRO.

So far I've transferred 250GB of 1.59TB to the target in just over 4 hours and it's still going strong... version 3.3.0.35 (Beta) is looking good. With the previous rev I'd get a kernal crash after 6GB or so. GlobalSAN is running on an Intel iMac (OSX 10.5.2) and the target is a Thecus N5200B PRO.

Thanks for the update transco. Keep us posted...

thanks,

ryan

Thanks for the update transco. Keep us posted...

thanks,

ryan

Ryan -

Time Machine has now caught up. Total files transferred: 2+ million. Total bytes transferred: 1.59TB. Total time: Approximately 19 hours. I tried everything I could think of to break it including simultaneous iSCSI transfers from other computers, various degrees of network loading, and running all of the major applications I normally use. GlobalSAN kept on working without a hitch.

Many thanks to SNS for sticking with this, especially since there was zero financial incentive to do so. I, for one, greatly appreciate it.

I'm using OpenFiler 2.2 and globalSAN iSCSI Initiator for OS X on a 24" iMac (model: iMac6,1) and OS X 10.5 Leopard. Sad thing is: the iMac always hangs during transfer (Time Machine). Since this is a reproducible behaviour, there is hope that further versions of the driver will finally do the trick. I've found another thread here, regarding combinations of recent Macs that work or don't work. Unfortunately, mine seems to be one of the latter. :(

Have you had a chance to test version 3.3.0.35 of the initiator? This version will most likely address the compatibility issues with your target. Version 3.3.0.35 of the globalSAN iSCSI initiator for OS X is available for download here: http://www.snsforums.com/index.php?showtopic=194

Please note, the location of the globalSAN initiator application has moved to system preferences. After installation of v3.3.0.35 navigate to the preferences tab of the initiator and select “redirect automatically” then hit apply.

-ryan

Still no love for me and RC1. Basically while I can connect the iSCSI target, copy information to the target will eventually hard crash the Mac. Only way to recover is turn the power off and back on again.

Don't mind working with someone from SNS on this but there certainly does not seem to be a large flow of information on this coming from SNS. Add that I am not the only person this issue seems to be happening to, you have to wonder.

Dave...

Hi Dave,

Have you had a chance to test version 3.3.0.35 of the initiator? This version will most likely address the compatibility issues with your target. Version 3.3.0.35 of the globalSAN iSCSI initiator for OS X is available for download here: http://www.snsforums.com/index.php?showtopic=194

Please note, the location of the globalSAN initiator application has moved to system preferences. After installation of v3.3.0.35 navigate to the preferences tab of the initiator and select “redirect automatically” then hit apply.

-ryan

I'm wondering if any one has gotten this to work with Leopard yet? The application runs and I can get it to log into iSCSI targets, I can see the session on the Sessions page however nothing ever shows up in Disk Utility to allow me to format/mount etc.

Am I missing a step or does this product not work with leopard yet? I don't have a Tiger machine around any more to test with or I would.

My ultimate goal is that hopefully the iSCSI disk will work with Time Machine, maybe someone already has experience with this.

Thanks!

HI,

I've been having exactly same problem with latest GlobalSAN initiator on up to date Leopard Server 10.5.8. My target is based on Windows 2008 Storage Ent x64 server, and I don't have any problems mapping VMWare ESX to it. Has anybody found a fix for it?

Thanks