SNS Users' Forums
  • Announcements

• Eric Newbauer

Follow SNS on Twitter!

Get notifications via Twitter! Looking for instant updates? We're now also announcing new versions and beta programs via Twitter. Follow Studio Network Solutions on Twitter. Thanks!

Hello!

I'm testing globalSAN because the ATTO XtendSAN iSCSI-Initiator is buggy, GUI doesn't work correct and looses connection to open-e iSCSI Enterprise every night.

Now I've tried to use the globalSAN iSCSI initiator.

I can connect the Target but after a few minutes, the OS (maybe only the Finder) freezes (the colored wheel apears) and I have to (hard-)reset the Mac.

The Mac is pingable and services (such as ssh) work!

System is a PowerBook G4 17" with MacOSX 10.4.9!

I don't want to test it on our productive 10TB-Fileserver...

Any Ideas to solve this?

Thanks

Hello!

I'm testing globalSAN because the ATTO XtendSAN iSCSI-Initiator is buggy, GUI doesn't work correct and looses connection to open-e iSCSI Enterprise every night.

I can connect the Target but after a few minutes, the OS (maybe only the Finder) freezes (the colored wheel apears) and I have to (hard-)reset the Mac.

Any Ideas to solve this?

Thanks

Same problem here , start a copy and hang ,warning not production ready!

Same problem here. I didn't discover it for a long time because it only happens when I copy large files. For a while I was just working with media that was already on there from when I used XtendSAN.

Anyone know of a target solution similar to Open-E iSCSI Enterprise that might work?

Also, are you guys using the original Open-E iSCSI Enterprise (the IDE module) or do you have the newer iSCSI-R3 product?

FYI,

I tested out the demo for the new Open-E iSCSI R3. I couldn't re-create the issue with it. I copied 800GB of files and it didn't lock up. Also tested Open-E DSS, and that too seemed to work fine.

But it's still shows volumes >2TB as 2TB.

also having the same issues here. initiator seems to hang the system (spinning beachball) - data is unavailable locally and across network mounts. my iSCSI target (Weibetech RTX6-IR) reports no errors.

this has to be an issue with the initiator...

- dc

Hello!

Any Ideas to solve this?

Thanks

I too am encountering this problem (see below). Say, can you all report more information about the hardware you are using to run GlobalSAN? Include details like the following:

- Initiator Info

OS Version

Mac Model

Ethernet Connection Type

- Target Info

Platform Type, OS (if applicable), Interface Type

I'm encountering a hang when copying files larger than 138KB in size.

Initiator Info:

MacBook 2.0 GHz, 2MB RAM

MacOS X 10.4.10

Built-in Ethernet (GigaBit)

Global San v3.0b1150

Target Info:

3.06 GHz Intel Celeron

1GB RAM

120GB HDD

256MB USB Stick (boots FreeNAS v685RC1, FreeBSD 6.2R7)

Built-in Ethernet (GigaBit/RealTech)

I'm using the globalSAN initiator on my Mac Pro 8-way box connected to an OpenFiler 2.2 target LUN. The target is 1TB in size. I'm running Leopard and while copying thousands of JPG and NEF raw camera files from a local drive to the LUN I am getting hard lockups but not at predictable times. The image files range from 1MB to 20MB in size. Sometimes I can copy 8-9 GB of files before it happens. Other times I get a few hundred MB into a transfer and it hangs. I tried copying via the Finder, terminal cp command and psync and it always results in a hang. Very annoying! I so want this to work so I can offload my work from my internal mac pro drives to a secure location on the other side of my Gigabit ethernet connection..

Any ideas on why this is happening? I've read on the net somewhere about the idea of throttling down the parameters of the iSCSI connection such as the 'Max Burst Length' and the 'Max Data segment To Target' to achieve more stability but I'm not sure how to do that. It must be something to setup in OpenFiler though..

If you have more information to add, I'd love to read it.

Well, no fixes yet. I think it has something to do with intel macs though. I've tried the initiator on several other G4 and G5 macs and it's been rock solid. However, everything I do on my intel based Mac Pro results in a lockup. Anyone have any answers? Is this forum monitored by Studio Network Solutions? Help!

Well, no fixes yet. I think it has something to do with intel macs though. I've tried the initiator on several other G4 and G5 macs and it's been rock solid. However, everything I do on my intel based Mac Pro results in a lockup. Anyone have any answers? Is this forum monitored by Studio Network Solutions? Help!

-I'm experiencing a similar problem with an Intel Xserve. I am able to connect to targets and copy small files, however, when I copy files greater than 1GB the system frequently hangs after a few hundred MB.

I've tried formatting with HFS+ Journaled, and not Journaled, both Case-Sensitive.

Initiator:

Intel Xserve (Original 2.0 Ghz)

8.0 GB RAM

globalSAN iSCSI 3.0 (1150)

Built in Gigabit Ethernet

Mac OS X Server 10.4.11

Target:

Open-E DSS-Lite 5.0.DL37000000.3003

P4 3.0 Ghz

1.5 GB RAM

Intel Pro1000GT Desktop Gigabit Ethernet adapter

Same trouble here, you can get all details on my setup and some syslog output in this post.

quick overview of the components I use:

Intel iMac 24" (iMac6,1, late 2006)

OS X 10.5.2 Leopard

Time Machine (what else ;) )

globalSAN iSCSI initiator 3.0 and 3.2-RC1 for Leopard

OpenFiler 2.2 on stock Intel PC hardware

100MBit network connection

So far I have one computer working perfectly and one that suffers frequent Kernal crashes. Both computers are running Leopard 10.5.2 and GlobalSAN ISCSI intiator 3.2-RC1. iSCSI targets are on a Thecus N5200B PRO and are 'Time Machine' drives. Network is gigabit-over-copper (1000baseT). The computer that works is an Intel MacBook, 2.2GHz, 250GB. The one that crashes is an Intel iMac 2.33GHz, 2.25TB (total local storage).

I have the same problem. Now that RC1 was actually released as 3.2, this is no good news. After transferring maybe 1GB of data, my 10.5.2 MacPro freezes hard and needs to be power cycled. My target is a EnhanceTech T8-IP with 8x1TB Seagate drives.

Given that ATTO is also busted on 10.5.2 (works "fine" on earlier versions), I am stuck on 10.5.1....

I have the same problem. Now that RC1 was actually released as 3.2, this is no good news. After transferring maybe 1GB of data, my 10.5.2 MacPro freezes hard and needs to be power cycled. My target is a EnhanceTech T8-IP with 8x1TB Seagate drives.

Thanks again for all the feedback. We have identified an issue with certain targets ( other than our own ;-) ). Fixing this incompatibility isn't P1 in the queue since it doesn't appear with our systems, but please keep an eye out -- we'll have another release that could resolve some of these problems with non-SNS targets.

Thanks again for all the feedback. We have identified an issue with certain targets ( other than our own ;-) ). Fixing this incompatibility isn't P1 in the queue since it doesn't appear with our systems, but please keep an eye out -- we'll have another release that could resolve some of these problems with non-SNS targets.

Do you have any idea how many 'non-SNS target' users there are? The reason I ask... In some thread a fellow globalSYS Initiator user mentioned the possibility of us 'non-SNS target' users paying a small fee for the initiator. The response was that it wouldn't be enough to make a difference. To make that determination, isn't it necessary to find out how many of us there are and would be willing to contribute and how much? Sorry, but I'm just trying to find some way to expedite the process.

Do you have any idea how many 'non-SNS target' users there are? The reason I ask... In some thread a fellow globalSYS Initiator user mentioned the possibility of us 'non-SNS target' users paying a small fee for the initiator. The response was that it wouldn't be enough to make a difference. To make that determination, isn't it necessary to find out how many of us there are and would be willing to contribute and how much? Sorry, but I'm just trying to find some way to expedite the process.

I would absolutely pay for this. I forked out $200 for the ATTO just to get something on Leopard, and the fact that the ATTO doesn't work reliably on 10.5.2 has me basically stranded. The fact that Leopard shipped without an initiator as promised is sad, but such is life I guess.

I would pay - Its a shame it wasn't included by apple in leopard, I have a box setup with openfiler but i have had to hard reset my mac about 5 times this weekend (first time since i had it) because of the issue, lets hope it gets sorted soon.

So far I have one computer working perfectly and one that suffers frequent Kernal crashes. Both computers are running Leopard 10.5.2 and GlobalSAN ISCSI intiator 3.2-RC1. iSCSI targets are on a Thecus N5200B PRO and are 'Time Machine' drives. Network is gigabit-over-copper (1000baseT). The computer that works is an Intel MacBook, 2.2GHz, 250GB. The one that crashes is an Intel iMac 2.33GHz, 2.25TB (total local storage).

Hi all,

I have the latest iMac running the latest X.5.2 with the same Thecus N5200BR Pro NAS. I have initialised an iSCSI disk and connected to my Mac (persistent, no CHAP) with GlobanSAN 3.2.0.15 to use it as a Time Machine.

I've Googled my error and it leads me here directly ! I'm glad to find this thread that confirm I have done everything well, I was beginning to doubt.

The disk mount on the desktop, I can format it, but after a few minutes of Time Machine copy the Mac freeze and I have to switch it off hardly.

Hope the problem could be solved soon.

Thanks for listening us ;)

I would absolutely pay for this. I forked out $200 for the ATTO just to get something on Leopard, and the fact that the ATTO doesn't work reliably on 10.5.2 has me basically stranded. The fact that Leopard shipped without an initiator as promised is sad, but such is life I guess.

I'm glad I ran across your post. I was just about to order the ATTO initiator. I sent an Email to their sales department asking about a demo copy (none available) or return policy (no response). $200 is just too much for me to spend without some guarantee it will either work or I can get a refund if it doesn't.

I had a major meltdown here, loosing some critical files. The drive that had the files wasn't covered by Timemachine since I just didn't have enough local storage available to cover everything. I have ample storage on my NAS (Thecus N5200B PRO with iSCSI target software), but without a reliable initiator, it's useless. I can understand how globalSAN is a low priority project with SNS, but I really hope they come up with some way to speed this along. Like you, I'd pay $200 for globalSAN if I could depend on it working.

Version 3.3.0.35 (Beta) of the globalSAN iSCSI initiator for OS X is available for download here!