SNS Users' Forums
  • Announcements

• Eric Newbauer

Follow SNS on Twitter!

Get notifications via Twitter! Looking for instant updates? We're now also announcing new versions and beta programs via Twitter. Follow Studio Network Solutions on Twitter. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
Msteel

globalSAN and power failures

Well, let me say first off that our X16 is on a UPS, as it should be.

But there have been a couple of times when nobody could mount SANmp volumes and when I investigated, the iSCSI was disabled. This last time was after a known power outage, and I suspect that the UPS ran out, the X16 went down (in a disorderly state) as a result, and came back up with iSCSI disabled. So, does anybody know:

1) If there's a way for the X16 to find out that the UPS is about to go down and shut itself down nicely.

2) If there's a way ensure that iSCSI comes on in an enabled state after a shutdown. I believe that iSCSI was set to be enabled at next startup, but couldn't say for sure...

Matt

Guest Loring
Well, let me say first off that our X16 is on a UPS, as it should be.

I am happy to hear that you are using a UPS to protect your storage. :D This is often overlooked in maintaining a healthy SAN environment.

But there have been a couple of times when nobody could mount SANmp volumes and when I investigated, the iSCSI was disabled. This last time was after a known power outage, and I suspect that the UPS ran out, the X16 went down (in a disorderly state) as a result, and came back up with iSCSI disabled. So, does anybody know:

1) If there's a way for the X16 to find out that the UPS is about to go down and shut itself down nicely.

The globalSAN X-16 iSCSI target does not currently support communication with UPS devices. :(

2) If there's a way ensure that iSCSI comes on in an enabled state after a shutdown. I believe that iSCSI was set to be enabled at next startup, but couldn't say for sure...

There is indeed a setting to ensure that the iSCSI service starts automatically. To verify that this is enabled:

1. Log into your globalSAN X-16 via a web browser window.

2. Navigate to the General > Power tab.

3. Under iSCSI Target Boot Options, ensure that the iSCSI target enabled at next boot: drop down is set to Yes.

4. Click the APPLY button.

Regards,

Loring

There is indeed a setting to ensure that the iSCSI service starts automatically. To verify that this is enabled:

1. Log into your globalSAN X-16 via a web browser window.

2. Navigate to the General > Power tab.

3. Under iSCSI Target Boot Options, ensure that the iSCSI target enabled at next boot: drop down is set to Yes.

4. Click the APPLY button.

Loring

Well, I have verified that this setting is correct. I can't say for sure how it was set during the outage, although I don't think I've ever set it to "disabled." We'll see what happens next time. Or I'll do a controlled test to see what happens if the UPS runs out.

Sign in to follow this