SNS Users' Forums
  • Announcements

• Eric Newbauer

Follow SNS on Twitter!

Get notifications via Twitter! Looking for instant updates? We're now also announcing new versions and beta programs via Twitter. Follow Studio Network Solutions on Twitter. Thanks!

Does this initiator have a 2TB limit under OSX Tiger? The reason I ask is because my current initiator, XtendSAN does have this limitation. Thanks.

Guest Loring
Does this initiator have a 2TB limit under OSX Tiger? The reason I ask is because my current initiator, XtendSAN does have this limitation. Thanks.

Hello Crosscreek.

The globalSAN iSCSI initiator does not have a 2TB limit.

Regards,

Loring

Edited by Loring

I have the same problem now - i have an open-e iSCSI Enterprise target with 10 TB.

With Xtend SAN i can connect but I have only a 2TB Volume... :(

But it's the same with the FREE globalSAN Initiator!

I have used another Initiator too but it was the same...

I'm using Mac OS X 10.4.9 on a Xserve G5

We have two Xserve Raids connected to this server with two 5TB-Volumes...so the limitation can't be at OS-side - or is that wrong? :huh:

Windows XP (32Bit) can connect to the Target and can use all the 10TB!

The last idea is to make a JBOD but an 10TB iSCSI-Volume would be better for me!

Any Ideas?

Thanks

I would like to put in my two cents if i may. OSX 10.4 does support greater than 2TB volumes. Also, Xtend SAN supports volumes grater than 2TB. I have had this working with many volumes greater than 2TB's including a Mediavault Array and an iSCSI bridge w/xtend san.

I do know that OSX looks at a different page of the inquiry report when determining if a unit supports 16bit CDB. This could be why certain DEVICES do not work on the Mac with multiple iSCSI Initiators but does on a PC.

Ohhh and one more thing for BunkerJambe, Windows XP 32bit does not support volumes greater than 2TB. Windows XP 64bit and 2003 SP1 do. the Windows OS must support GPT volumes. Not sure how you were able to see 10TB running XP 32bit.

Later Guys!

I too am having the same issue. I have a volume that's over 3TB in size - but under disk utility it says it's a 2TB volume.

Another issue I'm having is that if I try to format the disk as a HFS+ disk - disk utility locks up and I get a spinning beach ball.

I'm reading all the documentation again to see if I have missed anything

Specs: PowerMac G5 Mac OS 10.4.9 server - Linksys 1GB switch - Proavio RS-8IP

I would like to put in my two cents if i may. OSX 10.4 does support greater than 2TB volumes. Also, Xtend SAN supports volumes grater than 2TB. I have had this working with many volumes greater than 2TB's including a Mediavault Array and an iSCSI bridge w/xtend san.

I do know that OSX looks at a different page of the inquiry report when determining if a unit supports 16bit CDB. This could be why certain DEVICES do not work on the Mac with multiple iSCSI Initiators but does on a PC.

Ohhh and one more thing for BunkerJambe, Windows XP 32bit does not support volumes greater than 2TB. Windows XP 64bit and 2003 SP1 do. the Windows OS must support GPT volumes. Not sure how you were able to see 10TB running XP 32bit.

Later Guys!

Thank you for the clarification. I guess because your device is FC it can be seen as larger that 2TB. Are there any iSCSI targets that will support over 2TB in OSX? Do the SNS targets do this?

BTW, I'm not an expert but a quick Google search told me that Windows XP 32-bit DOES support NTFS volumes larger than 2TB, so long as they are not boot partitions.

Thank you for the clarification. I guess because your device is FC it can be seen as larger that 2TB. Are there any iSCSI targets that will support over 2TB in OSX? Do the SNS targets do this?

BTW, I'm not an expert but a quick Google search told me that Windows XP 32-bit DOES support NTFS volumes larger than 2TB, so long as they are not boot partitions.

Hi Crosscreek,

SNS targets do support over 2TB in OSX.

ryan

Guest Loring

FYI-

Windows (XP/2k/2k3) does support volumes larger than 2 TB, but they must be converted to a "dynamic" disk:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa363785.aspx

The Microsoft initiator does not currently support Dynamic disks. From the Microsoft iSCSI 2.04 initiator userguide:

"Dynamic disks (applies to Windows 2000 and Windows Server 2003)

Configuring volumes on iSCSI disks as Dynamic disk volumes using the Microsoft software iSCSI initiator is not currently supported. It has been observed that timing issues may prevent dynamic disk volumes on iSCSI disks from being reactivated at system startup."

http://download.microsoft.com/download/a/e...71af/uguide.doc

I am unsure about Windows compatible initiators from other vendors.

Regards,

Loring

Edited by Loring

FYI-

Windows (XP/2k/2k3) does support volumes larger than 2 TB, but they must be converted to a "dynamic" disk:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa363785.aspx

The Microsoft initiator does not currently support Dynamic disks. From the Microsoft iSCSI 2.04 initiator userguide:

"Dynamic disks (applies to Windows 2000 and Windows Server 2003)

Configuring volumes on iSCSI disks as Dynamic disk volumes using the Microsoft software iSCSI initiator is not currently supported. It has been observed that timing issues may prevent dynamic disk volumes on iSCSI disks from being reactivated at system startup."

http://download.microsoft.com/download/a/e...71af/uguide.doc

I am unsure about Windows compatible initiators from other vendors.

Regards,

Loring

Looking over this thread - No one answered the question - 2 TB limit for Mac OS X !

We are testing a new ISCSI system using Open-E Controller with 2.77 TB raid and can only see on our G5 XServe as 2 TB.

Looking over this thread - No one answered the question - 2 TB limit for Mac OS X !

We are testing a new ISCSI system using Open-E Controller with 2.77 TB raid and can only see on our G5 XServe as 2 TB.

in order to use targets greater than 2TB on OS X, you need to increase the block size of your target to 4096. this is due to OS X only supporting 32-bit LBA. hopefully this issue will be resolved in Leopard 10.5.

- dc