SNS Users' Forums
  • Announcements

• Eric Newbauer

Follow SNS on Twitter!

Get notifications via Twitter! Looking for instant updates? We're now also announcing new versions and beta programs via Twitter. Follow Studio Network Solutions on Twitter. Thanks!

First off, I am glad to finally see a FREE Mac OS X initiator! Now onto the fun stuff....Is there a list of supported targets or vendors. We have an EqualLogic SAN and I am unable to connect. Through past experiences I have found that the EqualLogic target we have in not very well supported for third party initiator vendors. Can anyone provide insight to if my device is supported? Upon attempting to establish a connection to a specific target I get this error:

Could not login to target <target_name> because an error occurred during target login.

Login status code 0203.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

We'd be happy to look through your trace logs. If you can produce them, please send to iscsi@studionetworksolutions.com

We don't technically support any targets (other than our own!) but here's a short list of targets that have been tested:

All SNS globalSAN targets

Cisco SN 5428

EMC AX-100

EMC CX-300i

EMC CX-500i

Intel iSCSI Reference Implementation

Nishan/McData 1620

IIRC, WinTarget was tested, but that was tested quite some time ago before String Bean's software was purchased by Microsoft.

I'm going to test ours tomorrow. Open-E iSCSI Enterprise. It works with XtendSAN 2.0.

EDIT: IT works great. Better than ATTO. I get full wire speed (105 MB/s).

We'd be happy to look through your trace logs. If you can produce them, please send to iscsi@studionetworksolutions.com

We don't technically support any targets (other than our own!) but here's a short list of targets that have been tested:

All SNS globalSAN targets

Cisco SN 5428

EMC AX-100

EMC CX-300i

EMC CX-500i

Intel iSCSI Reference Implementation

Nishan/McData 1620

IIRC, WinTarget was tested, but that was tested quite some time ago before String Bean's software was purchased by Microsoft.

Are there instructions anywhere on how to produce the trace logs?

Thanks,

Mike

We've got an EMC here and we're having problems. We can connect and see all of our targets, but no devices show up. Is there something else we need to do to mount a volume after connecting? Our setup works fine with Windows and Linux initiators. Any thoughts?

Guest Ted Richardson

Mike:

I took a look at your capture and it looks to me like the initiator is requesting connection to a real target, but the target side is responding with a "Target not found" error.

To help diagnose this, please first make sure that there are no security settings on the target side that may interfere with connectivity from a new initiator on the network. Some systems require the iqn of the initiator (found under preferences) to be "registered" with the target.

If this is all good, please try running another capture using the pinned directions with the following changes:

First, remove all portal addresses from the portal screen. Then, start the capture.

Enter the address of the iSCSI portal and wait until the "gear" stops tuning and the target list is shown on the target page.

Finally attempt to connect to one of the targets like before. When all this is complete, you can then break out of the capture and send us the file.

Thanks for your help,

Ted

Guest Ted Richardson

Mike:

Thanks for sending over the second capture file. I think that we're aware of what's going on here. Please be patient while we determine the best way to proceed.

Thanks again,

Ted

Mike:

Thanks for sending over the second capture file. I think that we're aware of what's going on here. Please be patient while we determine the best way to proceed.

Thanks again,

Ted

Thanks Ted! I will be eager, but patient to hear your results.

Hi Andrew,

Yes there is progress with Equallogic. Back in August I setup a session in which engineers were able to login to our Equallogic box and trouble the kernel errors. I am hopeful that they will be able to correct the bugs and have a version that will work with Equallogic arrays.

Mike

Hi Andrew,

Yes there is progress with Equallogic. Back in August I setup a session in which engineers were able to login to our Equallogic box and trouble the kernel errors. I am hopeful that they will be able to correct the bugs and have a version that will work with Equallogic arrays.

Mike

Has there been any further progress with Equalogic? We've got one set up here at work to test on, and I can't seem to connect either, or even see the targets when I've entered the IP of the device as the portal.

Has there been any further progress with Equalogic? We've got one set up here at work to test on, and I can't seem to connect either, or even see the targets when I've entered the IP of the device as the portal.

Has anyone made any progress with this issue?

I'm receiving a "Kernel error code E00002BC" (on Mac OS 10.3.9) when trying to connect to an Equallogic Target using the globalSAN iSCSI version 3.2.0.15. I did a packet capture following the directions that were posted previously and noticed that after the initiator sends the "Login Command" that the Equallogic responds with a "Target Moved temporarily" message. I'm assuming the kernel error is being raised by the response that the Equallogic sent.

Thanks,

Will Dupuis

To whom it shall concern:

It is of interest to me to try to make globalSAN's iSCSI Initiator work under MacOS 10.5.2 (Leopard) in concert with a Solaris (Sparc) based server.

I recently configured an Enterprise 450 (e450) with Solaris 10 05/08 and created a ZFS pool with shareiscsi set to on. However, with my limited knowledge of iSCSI, I was wondering if anyone has a "How To" on setting this kind of configuration up?

Thanks in advance,

Stuart

To whom it shall concern:

It is of interest to me to try to make globalSAN's iSCSI Initiator work under MacOS 10.5.2 (Leopard) in concert with a Solaris (Sparc) based server.

I recently configured an Enterprise 450 (e450) with Solaris 10 05/08 and created a ZFS pool with shareiscsi set to on. However, with my limited knowledge of iSCSI, I was wondering if anyone has a "How To" on setting this kind of configuration up?

Thanks in advance,

Stuart

Hi Stuart, make sure that you are using v3.3.0.35 of the initiator and that "Redirect Automatically" is enabled in the preferences tab. Also, you may want to try enabling CHAP.

regards,

ryan

Hi Stuart, make sure that you are using v3.3.0.35 of the initiator and that "Redirect Automatically" is enabled in the preferences tab. Also, you may want to try enabling CHAP.

regards,

ryan

I've just been trying this for the first time today, and it's maddening: I'm almost there!

I'm running Solaris 10 5.10 Generic_120012-14 i86pc i386 i86pc, which has iSCSI target support. I've carved out a ZFS device over there and enabled iscsi sharing for it. I'm running v3.3.0.35 of the initiator on a Mac Pro running OS X Server 10.5.2. After turning on "Redirect Automatically", I have established a connection to the target. The target dataset has not been initialized. The Session Info window in globalSAN on the Mac says:

Name LUN

SUN SOLARIS Media 0

So, the Mac is connected to the target, and sees the media within the target. However, I don't get a popup about a new disk inserted, and the target doesn't show up in Disk Utility. This is a maddeningly common occurrence on the Mac, but you must have seen it: can you get me the last inch?

LATER:

Just after I posted this, I spontaneously got a popup announcing a new disk! I hurried over to Disk Utility and attempted to partition it, only to have "Permission Denied" thrown back at me. The Solaris iSCSI target isn't set up with Chap authentication so I have no idea what the problem might be. I don't have this problem talking to it from a Solaris initiator, naturally. Now, the Session Info window does show that the target has been assigned "disk3", at least.

I ran tcpdump as requested in these forums. The attempt to partition the Solaris target causes no network traffic to be exchanged with the Solaris machine hosting the iSCSI target, but I verified tcpdump is working by connecting to the Solaris machine via "ssh". I did see all the packets exchanged by that transaction, just nothing from iSCSI. Apparently the "permission" problem is entirely internal to the Mac. I'm stumped.

Help!

Hi Mark,

Have you had a chance to test version 3.3.0.35 of the initiator? This version will most likely address the compatibility issues with your target. Version 3.3.0.35 of the globalSAN iSCSI initiator for OS X is available for download here: http://www.snsforums.com/index.php?showtopic=194

Please note, the location of the globalSAN initiator application has moved to system preferences. After installation of v3.3.0.35 navigate to the preferences tab of the initiator and select “redirect automatically” then hit apply. Let us know how it goes.

-ryan

Hi,

Trying globalSAN_3.2.0.15 against a Openfiler (www.openfiler.com) 2.3b2 target.

Copy some files greater 2GB with the Finder from Mac Pro local harddisk to the target the Mac always crashes between 2 and 3 GB transfer, have to unplug the power to reboot, smaller files work.

Same with a open-e (www.open-e.com) 5.0 target.

globalSAN-iSCSI-3.3.0.35_BETA don't starts, pressing the preferences panel always says "not correct installed, reinstall".

I did reboot a couple of times and reinstalled 3 times always the same "not correct installed".

What I'm doing wrong ?

Thanks,

Karsten

Pursuant to my post of May 15, where I've got the iSCSI device showing up in Disk Utility but can't partition it due to "permission denied", I finally tracked down something in system.log. When I try to read the iSCSI device (by doing a "dd" of a few blocks to /dev/null), I get this:

kernel[0]: disk3: device/channel is not attached.

I hope that'll give you some idea of what's not happening in the iSCSI initiator. It looks like it's not taking the final step to make the device ready for use.

Google tells me that this message is usually seen with external USB disks when the connection to the host is flaky. There are no other messages here and the net connection is not flaky. In fact there is no net traffic whatsoever; this appears to be due entirely to OS X's internal notion of what "attached" means.

Hi,

Trying globalSAN_3.2.0.15 against a Openfiler (www.openfiler.com) 2.3b2 target.

Copy some files greater 2GB with the Finder from Mac Pro local harddisk to the target the Mac always crashes between 2 and 3 GB transfer, have to unplug the power to reboot, smaller files work.

Same with a open-e (www.open-e.com) 5.0 target.

globalSAN-iSCSI-3.3.0.35_BETA don't starts, pressing the preferences panel always says "not correct installed, reinstall".

I did reboot a couple of times and reinstalled 3 times always the same "not correct installed".

What I'm doing wrong ?

Thanks,

Karsten

Hello Karsten, try running the uninstaller for v3.2.0.15, reboot, & install v3.3.0.35. Let me know what happens.

regards,

ryan

Hi Ryan,

Hello Karsten, try running the uninstaller for v3.2.0.15, reboot, & install v3.3.0.35. Let me know what happens.

regards,

ryan

Same thing .35 says not correct installed.

regards,

Karsten

Results after installing and testing for days with globalSAN-3.2.0.15, just copy with Finder:

Openfiler x64 2.2: Mac crash after 11GB, other people got this working, but on a G5 not Intel

Openfiler x64 2.3b2: Mac crash after 2GB copy

open-e 5.0: Mac crash after 2GB copy

LIO 3.0.0: can't login globalSAN error code 110E, Enable CRC/Checksum and press connect Mac crash

Nexenta (OpenSolaris) 1.0.1: This is the first target that don't crashes my Mac during copy to a iSCSI target ! But is very slow. 19 minutes for 20GB.

Hi Ryan,

Same thing .35 says not correct installed.

regards,

Karsten

What version of OSX is being used?