• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cribeiro

cribeiro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:01 AM

I installed the trial version of initiator but I also noticed you have a recent product globalSAN Xtarget Storage Server
I am going to tell you what I do have, what I want to do, and you tell me what do I need
We work on Mac OS Lion, Mac Pros and iMacs. We have Final Cut X. We have Synology Diskstation DS+1512 (I believe RAID5, I am not tech sorry
We need to store Final Cut events and projects on the Diskstation. When working on Final Cut X with USB disk is horribly slow.
We created a iSCSI target and LUN (file system).
We also have Parallels virtual machine on the SSD, the idea would be to move this virtual machine to the iSCSI volume. I am not sure if performance will suffer considerably. Anyway we are not active users of Windows 7, but we need it for certain programs.
I am not sure if by moving the file onto the iSCSI volume I will be able to open it from different machines (obviously not concurrent use)

Which software do you suggest? Can we create a iSCSI volume for example 1TB with 1 partition to accomplish all this?

Thank You

#2 Eric Newbauer

Eric Newbauer

Advanced Member

• KB Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:45 PM

Regarding the question about using different machines with your Diskstation's iSCSI volume, please see this post.

Regarding what you could do with Xtarget Storage Server, you could take any existing storage you have (USB, Thunderbolt, etc.) and use your Mac to present that storage over iSCSI instead of using the Diskstation. (Or in addition to it...)

Here's a link to our page so you can learn more about globalSAN Xtarget Storage Server -- there's also a brief video on it.
Eric Newbauer, SNS Moderator
----
Learn about our SAN/NAS shared media storage products
Follow Studio Network Solutions on Twitter

#3 cribeiro

cribeiro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:42 AM

Thank you for the reply. I configured the iSCSI volume as file sharing instead of block. One final question would be, does your product iSanmp have the features of globalSAN initiator, or do you need both?

Could you give me a link to prices? Thank you

#4 Eric Newbauer

Eric Newbauer

Advanced Member

• KB Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:00 PM

Sure!

iSANmp and globalSAN initiator are different products with different functions. Read more at this link:

http://www.studionetworksolutions.com/support/faq.php?pi=8

Regarding pricing, please see this post.
Eric Newbauer, SNS Moderator
----
Learn about our SAN/NAS shared media storage products
Follow Studio Network Solutions on Twitter