Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Could please somebody answer this questin?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 homayoun

homayoun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:46 AM

Hi,

I just want to access the files on a iSCSI network storage via two Mac computers ( Lion OSX). Regarding this matter I have two questions:

1- If I buy iSANmp, do I need to buy also the globalSAN iSCSI initiator to access the iSCSI storage? Or I can use the iSANmp to access the iSCSI Storages via my Mac computers?

2- If I buy one iSANmp licence, can I install it on more than one Mac Computer? Or I have to buy one licence for each computer?

I hope that somebody will answer these simple questions, which I think belong to the FAQ of the globalSAN website.

Many thanks

#2 homayoun

homayoun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:54 PM

My Email is: [removed by moderator]

#3 homayoun

homayoun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:47 PM

Please, Please answer my questions. Posted Image
I just want to pay and buy your product!!!!!

#4 Eric Newbauer

Eric Newbauer

Advanced Member

• KB Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:40 PM

homayoun,

Good questions, good suggestion. Please click the link below to see answers to your questions, which we posted today to our FAQ section for SANmp.

http://www.studionet...rt/faq.php?pi=8

p.s. I removed your email address from the post above.
Eric Newbauer, SNS Moderator
----
Learn about our SAN/NAS shared media storage products
Follow Studio Network Solutions on Twitter

#5 homayoun

homayoun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:58 PM

Great! :D
Thanks a lot for your reply.

However I still have two questions:

1. Ok, You say that the USB dongle is a portable license.
Does it mean, that if I want to use 2 different Mac computers (not at the same time), I can just unplug the dongle from the first one and plug it in to the second Mac computer and use iSANmp with that computer??

2. In one of the demo videos on your website, I can see that you can access an iSCSI storage via iSANmp, without using the globalSAN initiator! Am I right?
I mean can I access an iSCSI storage via iSANmp or I have to install globalSAN initiator to be able to access the iSCSI storage, and iSANmp is only a tool for setting different access levels for different users?

Thank you very much for your help and sorry if my questions are not very intelligent. However I am new in the world of iSCSI.

#6 Eric Newbauer

Eric Newbauer

Advanced Member

• KB Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:30 AM

1. I'm not sure I understand your intention, so I'll say that SANmp/iSANmp won't do you much good without at least two licenses (or, one for each computer that will "share" the SAN storage). If your intention is to buy one license and move the dongle between multiple computers, I think you will find that to be rather inelegant. (To continue working, SANmp must see the dongle.)

2. SANmp is just the SAN sharing software. It doesn't establish the SAN connectivity itself -- it just facilitates the sharing of the SAN storage that's presented to the OS. So, in order for SANmp to be useful, you must also use an iSCSI initiator (such as our globalSAN initiator, or Microsoft's initiator, or some other company's initiator) OR a Fibre Channel HBA (such as our Ellipse Fibre Channel HBA, or Apple's FC HBA, or some other company's HBA).
----

#7 homayoun

homayoun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 05:59 AM

Sorry for the confusion.
Let me tell you exactly what is my intention.

We have an iSCSI storage which is on a Synology DS411j NAS.

We want to access the files on this iSCSI with our Windows and Mac PCs.
Windows comes with an iSCSI initiator.
For our two Mac Computers however we need globalSAN initiator.

I installed the demo version of globalSAN initiator and recognized that I can not set different access rights (read, write, ...) for different users.

Then I watched a demo video on your website and thought that iSANmp is a software which gives me the possibility to set different access rights for different users.

My questions regarding this scenario is as follow:

W want to access our iSCSI storage located on our Synology NAS with two different Mac computers.
Which software do you suggest us?

Is globalSAN initiator what I am looking for?

Do we need two different licenses for two Mac computers even if we don't want to use them at the same time?

Is there any possibility to set different access rights for different users?

Many thanks

#8 Eric Newbauer

Eric Newbauer

Advanced Member

• KB Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:14 AM

OK, so you want to access the files on your iSCSI target from Mac and Windows computers. In that case you would need:

1) The Microsoft iSCSI initiator setup on each Windows computer
2) A license of globalSAN iSCSI initiator for each Mac computer
3) A license of iSANmp for each Mac and Windows computer

Please see this post, which I think will provide more clarification and answer your remaining questions from above.
----

#9 homayoun

homayoun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:28 PM

Thanks for the answer.