Photo
- - - - -

iSCSI causes network connection to hang. (wireless)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 groove

groove

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:09 PM

I'm trying to use globalSAN iSCSI Initiator over my wireless connection. The initiator works just fine over a wired connection. But it fails after about 15 - 20 mins when using it over a wireless connection. In fact what happens is that the connection seems to 'hang' and not allow any other traffic over it. I have to disable and re-enable the the wireless nic in order to get it to work again. I don't see this issue if I use the wireless for some other activities. But iSCSI traffic always seems to cause this problem.

Has any one else run into this issue ?

#2 sns-caspian

sns-caspian

Advanced Member

• KB Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:56 PM

I'm trying to use globalSAN iSCSI Initiator over my wireless connection. The initiator works just fine over a wired connection. But it fails after about 15 - 20 mins when using it over a wireless connection. In fact what happens is that the connection seems to 'hang' and not allow any other traffic over it. I have to disable and re-enable the the wireless nic in order to get it to work again. I don't see this issue if I use the wireless for some other activities. But iSCSI traffic always seems to cause this problem.

How stable is your wireless connection? In general, do you ever experience any drop outs or devices wanting to reconnect?

What kind of data and how much bandwidth are you trying to access over the wireless iSCSI connection?

#3 budy

budy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:30 AM

Hmm… running any iSCSI connection over a wireless network will be a huge challenge. It's not the wireless network in general, but most likely you will not be able to ensure the network quality you'd need for running iSCSI over it. iSCSI is extremely picky when it comes to timing and drop-outs.
What makes it really worse is that the iSCSI protocol sits deep down in the OS and any hang on this does have the implications you're mentioning.

I do have used GS over my WiFi connection at home, but I am not living in a crowded area, so I don't have to deal with network quality issues.

Cheers,
budy