• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Nathan

Nathan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 03:53 PM

This morning I tried changing from my Mac Pro 2.26 ("Gainestown") to a 2.4 ("Westmere"). Upon swapping the hardware, I could no longer connect to any SanMP tagged volumes. I attempted to uninstall SanMP, after a reboot I got the usual "Unrecognized disc has been inserted", due to the fact it was seeing SanMP volumes. I re-installed and tried again and still nothing. I then tried to reboot and force into 32 bit mode (holding "3" & "2" on boot). This did not help. I also opened SanMP Admin and discovered that it did not see any of the fiber channel volumes.

Any ideas?

I'm using an Ellipse card with the newest drive I downloaded this morning.

Also, I did put all my hardware back in my old machine and it booted up perfectly.

At this point I'm ordering a new fiber card so that I can test this and figure out what is going on without affecting our production machines.

#2 Eric Newbauer

Eric Newbauer

Advanced Member

• KB Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:19 PM

Nathan, it sounds like this may be a simple matter of SANmp running in "Trial" mode. (SANmp in trial mode is not able to see non-trial mode disks.)

1. Quit SANmp
2. Verify that you have a SANmp dongle installed into this computer
3. Launch SANmp and check that you've selected "Full mode"

If that doesn't help please open a case online and reference this post.
Eric Newbauer, SNS Moderator
----
Learn about our SAN/NAS shared media storage products
Follow Studio Network Solutions on Twitter

#3 Nathan

Nathan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:51 AM

Nathan, it sounds like this may be a simple matter of SANmp running in "Trial" mode. (SANmp in trial mode is not able to see non-trial mode disks.)

1. Quit SANmp
2. Verify that you have a SANmp dongle installed into this computer
3. Launch SANmp and check that you've selected "Full mode"

If that doesn't help please open a case online and reference this post.

Well as I stated before, I put all my hardware back into the original computer and it worked fine. I've got a new fiber card on order so I can test off line. I'll let you know the results from that.

#4 Nathan

Nathan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:22 AM

Well as I stated before, I put all my hardware back into the original computer and it worked fine. I've got a new fiber card on order so I can test off line. I'll let you know the results from that.

After installing a new Apple Fiber card and reinstalling the current version of SanMP (3.1.6.376), it's working again. It seems that the problem is related to the Ellipse card.

My next test is to move my hard drive & SCSI cards from my old computer to the new one.

#5 Nathan

Nathan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 02:41 PM

I know that we fixed this by using a "FixRootPermissions" script. But has anyone at SNS been able to resolve this without a work around? Also, I tried to update my computer to 10.6.7 and 10.6.8 and even after running the fix root permissions I could not get it to boot. I had to revert back to 10.6.6. This is still a problem for me as I need to run VMWare and it requires 10.6.7. Hopefully SanMP 4.0 will be better. Is there a potential release date for that yet?

#6 Nathan

Nathan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:53 AM

I know that we fixed this by using a "FixRootPermissions" script. But has anyone at SNS been able to resolve this without a work around? Also, I tried to update my computer to 10.6.7 and 10.6.8 and even after running the fix root permissions I could not get it to boot. I had to revert back to 10.6.6. This is still a problem for me as I need to run VMWare and it requires 10.6.7. Hopefully SanMP 4.0 will be better. Is there a potential release date for that yet?

Is anyone going to answer this? Also, in another post related to testing, you noted that your test system was booting in 32 bit mode, will this be required? I'd hate to have to reboot into 32 bit mode every time I had to restart. Also, are these issues being addressed in SanMP 4?

#7 steve.higdon

steve.higdon

Advanced Member

• KB Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:37 AM

Nathan

SANmp 4.0 is compatible with 64 bit kernel, and is currently in beta test phase, please see http://www.snsforums...p?showtopic=447

Your post on 5 Oct 2010 appeared to indicate that things were working, and your follow up is a year later.

If you're still having problems you should use the link Eric posted to open a support case so we can gather specific info to troubleshoot the issue.