3 replies to this topic

#1 alex

alex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 07:32 PM

Hi Guys!

I'm trying to make FreeBSD istgt and globalSAN working together and it's working without authentication. But as soon as I want to use CHAP authentication, I can't get the target connected. globalSAN gives me the error:

"Connection error

Code E3FF8201. The initiator could not be successfully authenticated or target authentication is not supported"

On FreeBSD box I get the following in the log:

Sep 1 01:28:28 daemon istgt[4151]: istgt_iscsi.c:1499:istgt_iscsi_auth_params: ***ERROR*** auth failed (user alex)
Sep 1 01:28:28 daemon istgt[4151]: istgt_iscsi.c:2256:istgt_iscsi_op_login: ***ERROR*** iscsi_auth_params() failed

I'm a bit puzzled by the set of "User Authentication" and "Target Authentication" in globalSAN. How the two related to istgt AuthGroup settings?

Any pointers/hints/clues are greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Alex.

#2 cypres

cypres

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:26 AM

I have tried everything and I can't get authentication to work with globalSAN (Snow Leopard) and FreeBSD's istgt. Setting all options explicitly (Digest, AuthMethod) etc. does not work.

In the end I had to disable authentication by setting AuthMethod to none in istgt, and removing authentication from globalSAN settings.

Currently I'm hoping that OS X Lion's new whole disk encryption feature will work with iSCSI, since that will allow me to keep the data secure although all users on the network has access to it.

#3 cypres

cypres

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:49 AM

Currently I'm hoping that OS X Lion's new whole disk encryption feature will work with iSCSI, since that will allow me to keep the data secure although all users on the network has access to it.

I does in fact work.
TM screenshot: http://files.onlinec...ncrypted-tm.png
Disk Utility screenshot: http://files.onlinec...ive-encrypt.png

This was after enabling the new FileVault which supports whole disk encryption.

#4 TimHenrion

TimHenrion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:06 AM

Check out the thread in this forum on globalSAN and FreeNAS. SNS provided a preview build that resolves this problem.

I have tried everything and I can't get authentication to work with globalSAN (Snow Leopard) and FreeBSD's istgt. Setting all options explicitly (Digest, AuthMethod) etc. does not work.

In the end I had to disable authentication by setting AuthMethod to none in istgt, and removing authentication from globalSAN settings.