• Announcements

• Eric Newbauer

Follow SNS on Twitter!

Get notifications via Twitter! Looking for instant updates? We're now also announcing new versions and beta programs via Twitter. Follow Studio Network Solutions on Twitter. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Peet

Best NTFS for OSX software?

4 posts in this topic

Hi

We're trying to configure a SANmp solution for both PCs and Macs running both NTFS and HFS+ volumes on the same storage unit. Ideally I would like the Admin machine (OS X) to be able to mount the NTFS volumes R/W so that we can add data to them before they are used on the PCs.

We're currently running Tuxera NTFS (http://www.tuxera.com/products/tuxera-ntfs-for-mac/) which is the latest incarnation of NTFS-3g, I believe.

However, Tuxera still doesn't seem to allow me to mount NTFS formatted SANmp volumes R/W on my Mac.

Is there a preferred SANmp solution before I go bothering the Finns about their software?

SOLVED!!

SNS recommends the earlier open source version of NTFS-3g which installs MacFUSE by default.

HOWEVER - if you are running Snow Leopard or Lion, MacFUSE will not run in 64-bit mode. You need to use OSXFUSE (http://osxfuse.github.com/) which is 64-bit compatible.

Once I disabled MacFUSE and installed OSXFUSE, then rebooted, NTFS-3g began working and I could write to NTFS volumes.

PLEASE NOTE: You can only mount NTFS volumes on a Mac as RO or Write Exclusive (WX)

Thanks to Jason and Joseph.

PLEASE NOTE: You can only mount NTFS volumes on a Mac as RO or Write Exclusive (WX)

I just found this out the hard way - would have been nice to know going in. Any effort to resolve this?

We are hoping to address this in a future release of SANmp. The limitation is there to prevent an issue that makes the volume unmountable by Windows.

-Joseph