• Announcements

• Eric Newbauer

Follow SNS on Twitter!

Get notifications via Twitter! Looking for instant updates? We're now also announcing new versions and beta programs via Twitter. Follow Studio Network Solutions on Twitter. Thanks!
alex

istgt on FreeBSD and authentication in globalSAN

4 posts in this topic

Hi Guys!

I'm trying to make FreeBSD istgt and globalSAN working together and it's working without authentication. But as soon as I want to use CHAP authentication, I can't get the target connected. globalSAN gives me the error:

"Connection error

Code E3FF8201. The initiator could not be successfully authenticated or target authentication is not supported"

On FreeBSD box I get the following in the log:

Sep 1 01:28:28 daemon istgt[4151]: istgt_iscsi.c:1499:istgt_iscsi_auth_params: ***ERROR*** auth failed (user alex)

Sep 1 01:28:28 daemon istgt[4151]: istgt_iscsi.c:2256:istgt_iscsi_op_login: ***ERROR*** iscsi_auth_params() failed

I'm a bit puzzled by the set of "User Authentication" and "Target Authentication" in globalSAN. How the two related to istgt AuthGroup settings?

Any pointers/hints/clues are greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Alex.

I have tried everything and I can't get authentication to work with globalSAN (Snow Leopard) and FreeBSD's istgt. Setting all options explicitly (Digest, AuthMethod) etc. does not work.

In the end I had to disable authentication by setting AuthMethod to none in istgt, and removing authentication from globalSAN settings.

Currently I'm hoping that OS X Lion's new whole disk encryption feature will work with iSCSI, since that will allow me to keep the data secure although all users on the network has access to it.

Currently I'm hoping that OS X Lion's new whole disk encryption feature will work with iSCSI, since that will allow me to keep the data secure although all users on the network has access to it.

I does in fact work.

TM screenshot: http://files.onlinecity.dk/step6b-encrypted-tm.png

Disk Utility screenshot: http://files.onlinecity.dk/step5b-3-erase-drive-encrypt.png

This was after enabling the new FileVault which supports whole disk encryption.

Check out the thread in this forum on globalSAN and FreeNAS. SNS provided a preview build that resolves this problem.

I have tried everything and I can't get authentication to work with globalSAN (Snow Leopard) and FreeBSD's istgt. Setting all options explicitly (Digest, AuthMethod) etc. does not work.

In the end I had to disable authentication by setting AuthMethod to none in istgt, and removing authentication from globalSAN settings.